Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

At the risk of sounding unpopular, the use of "emotional support animals" has been perpetuated inappropriately. The ADA currently only recognizes dogs and miniature horses as true support animals. How are instructors handling situations when students request an alternative type of animal in the classroom?

People with physical and mental disabilities need to have the same level playing field.  The educational institutions should provide reasonable accommodations for the students with disabilities.

The ADA went into effect in 1991 for colleges. It stated that all students with disabilities have the right to equal access to education.

Every effort needs to be made to accodate students with a dissability even if it is not a visual dissability. 

There was a lot of information in this section, and I think what I've found most helpful is that being compliant with Section 504 and the ADA means looking at the access to opportunities, and not getting bogged down in the specific disability of a student.  

I have learned the differnce between a disability and an accomodation. 

I have learned to distinguish between 504 and ADA II & II.  I will use the chronic heatlh condition clause as I have recently received an inquiry from faculty.  Accomodations my be denied for saftey, curriculum, services and excessive cost

Students are responsible for requesting accomodations for their disabilities.

By law, the school should have policies in place that define the process for students to request accomodations and the college to provide "reasonable" accomodations for students. Schools should also have the resources to be able to provide those accomodations.  

I learned that the law is very open ended and can be interpreted in many ways. However, the law gives freedom to instead of limits to the types of accommodations that can be provided. The law applies to educational institutions, private or public. Students still have to meet all the criteria set by the institution but they may need some specific accommodations to reach those goals. 

It is required by higher education institutions to accomodate students with disabilities so that they may have to same educational experience as the rest of our students.

Accomodations are important for those who qualify for them according to the ADA guidelines.  It is important to remember that reasonable accomodations in a reasonable time frame.  

I have learned that accomadations help remove barriers to learning and provide opportuniteis to achieve the same outcomes as people without disabilities. I have also learned more about the law and regulations and how it started. 

Accommodations must be insured for any and all students who meet the criteria.  Institutions can be held liable if all ADA and 504 offerings and protections are not made readily available.

The phrase that providing accomodations is a floor, not a ceiling, stood out to me. It's important that accomodations be tailored to each student's request and are designed to 'raise the floor' the this student is level with their peers. It's not designed to provide advantages.

Defineing the disctinctions between emotional support and a service animals and where they are provided access in public spaces is informative.  

Identifying what constitutes a reasonable accommodation as well as the students responsibility in the process. 

I have a better understanding of the lasws in place to protect students with disabilities. Moreover, this module has clarified expectations for reasonable accomodations.

How to accomodate students with disabilities and provide an equal opportunity to learn the course subject matter as well as everyone else.

To give all people the same access to the learning material regardless of their disability.

Ii believe that everyone should be provided an equal opportunity to succeed in life regardless of having a physical or mental disability.   Hence. The Section 504 and ADA alleviates many types of perceived disadvantages by offering a somewhat level playing field which fortunately can be further developed as technology advances and society/cultural changes are more readily accepted as the norm.

Sign In to comment