Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that consent is a big actor and is easily misinterpreted. 

I really like the focus on defining what “consent” generally looks like, especially the last portion about consent being withdrawn at any time-I think this is very important in the teachings of consent. I’m also shocked to find out that some states do not define consent, seeing as though more and more sexual assault victims and survivors report and come forth. My question is, how does a Title IX coordinator education and create an environment where students feel comfortable learning and being held accountable for bystander intervention and sexual assault dynamics within at a trade or technical college- when populations of students historically and traditionally (not always) are male prominent environments. I ask only because I can somewhat foreshadow the level of uncomfortableness if I was the only female/singled out during these types of conversations. Does OCR have tactics or suggestions for situations like this? (Another example is the field of nursing, which is predominantly female learners, but not always). Class room dynamics and student population all affect how institutions have conversations.

Definition of consent is important so this is clear to all. Differnece of interim measures, sanctions, and remedies. The piece on bystander intervention was informative. 

Many people are not aware of what sexual assult is

many of the incidents happen on the weekends.

I appreciate learning and understanding immediate action needs to take place to support the accuser and the accused allowing for a just process.  

The importance of education related to both on and off campus activities must be considered.

This module presented an expansive list of consent meanings. This is really helpful!

Reading this section I am reminded of the gymastic students who endured abuse and the college did nothing. It seems watching the news, at least once a month you hear about colleges not following up on sexual crimes until someone gets hurt or dies.

Breaks my heart! 

Even though I am currently employeed by a small college I constantly remind the students of "professionalism" ... no matter what their culture is on the street or at home ... when you are at school and the work place ... you must be professional at all time. I do not tolorate rudeness or street talk within the halls.  

The information on Consent was interesting and how it differs per state. The statistics on College Students and Date Violence was very shocking and sad.  We need to do more to make students aware of these situations and have them understand better the meaning of Domestic Violence, Date Violence, and Stalking.  The information on retaliation was also very important, this is probably one of the main factors why victims do not report these crimes.    

Sexual assault dynamics, behaviors and consent are focal interests. VAWA crimes definitions and safe options for bystander intervention are equally important.

Education and prevention is so important to prevent sexual and other assults.  It was interesting to learn that more than 50% of sexual assults against women that go to college took place off-campus, at a party.  This really puts them at risk.

VAWA requires that the training all students and employees receive on prevention and awareness of sexual assault include the definition of “consent” under the institution’s policies and under the law of the state where the institution is located. That definition is required to be contained in the institution’s Annual Security Report.

Comment on Lisa Creach's post: Love it   the more educated the more people will be comfortable to report

consent is a big part of this. Current consent does not equal future consent; it can be withdrawn at any time. 

The punishment and outcomes for a Title IX or a VAWA can vary based on intensity and frequency.

Consent- varies by situation and can be rightfully withdrawn at any time!

Faculty and students should understand by education on any kind of sexual harassment or violence, rape, or assault by anyone even if the perpetrator is a friend or stranger whether on campus or off.

Biggest take away for me is CONSENT - No means No!!  We as a society should understand the days of blaming the victim are gone (or at least should be gone) also that it is not just women that can be the victim men can also be the victim.

If a school employee has an indication that a violent act is about to occur, steps should be taken to separate the two parties or re-direct their attention or call authorities for help, if it is safe for the employee to do so.

Sign In to comment