Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learnt about the times that assaults takes places during college times.

It is important to take the person seriously when they are reporting and then ensure that a professional attitude is used. 

It was important to review the differences in violence such as dating and sexual violence and the definition of consent. 

I have learned that the definitions of consent and terms regarding sexual assault can vary state to state and that they are not common sense. It is crucial to educate students and staff to understand and recognize the signs of sexual predators and that the behaviors of victims may seem to be counter intuitive for cooperation and the willingness to volunteer information. This is due to the trauma of the situation and relationship between the victim and the perpetrators. 

The importance of consent especially for those in at-risk populations should be emphasized. Especially for young students heading off to college where issues occur the most according to statistics.

Pardon the simplicity of my comment, but basically speaking "NO is NO", period.

I think the top takeaway for this unit was the ability to better understand the psychological reactions of a victim and not to assume they are lying or not cooperating when they are still processing their trauma.

It is important as an instructor to understand the different times of violations and watch for them in students and staff.

I was very surprised to learn that bystanders are not required by law for active intervention to prevent sexual violence. I knew the physical intervention was not required, because the bystander could be putting themselves at risk it physically, trying to prevent the sexual violence from occurring, but did not know they were protected by law even if doing nothing. 

This section and the implications of what others can do to deter assault was appreciated, it is not a topic or area that I have seen addressed very often.

Understanding the VAWA definitions for different terms is helpful in understanding Title IX more completely. 

Great info

It is important to educate faculty and students that VAWA crimes include domestic violence and dating violence. It's important for the Title IX Coordinator to have background knowledge of the psychological effects of sexual assault in order to make and objective assessment.

One of the primary objectives of remedial measures is to provide support the victim in his/her ability to continue his/her education by providing necessary support services and eliminating factors creating a hostile environment.

I did not know that the first two years of college and the first few months of the school year were the highest risk of sexual assault.

Comment on Harold Ortiz's post: agree on that!

I agree that it's a very good idea for school employees to be trained in victim behavior and trauma response. I think that not only will they be better listeners but they will be more helpful in guiding a victim that may come to them with an incident to report.

By addressing components such as harassment, domestic violence, sexual violence, etc. in Title IX and VAWA training, educational institutions can create a comprehensive and proactive approach to prevention and education, fostering a campus culture that prioritizes safety, respect, and equality.

Prevention and education are critical components of efforts to address and reduce incidents of sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking on college campuses and in other educational institutions. By implementing comprehensive prevention and education strategies, educational institutions aim to create a safer and more respectful campus environment while empowering individuals to recognize and address instances of sexual misconduct.

I agree with you it really is helpful

Sign In to comment