Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I enjoyed the reiteration of how important a plan is in teaching. I think aligning our classes with secondary programs is vital to the success of post-secondary education. 

Honestly not much "learned"..I do agree that lessons need to be planned out to accomplish goals via learning objectives. This has been covered by CWI's new teaching training, so I am familiar and already working on alignment with other programs in the area. I should add some employment skill assessment into the the gradebook on a daily basis- that was really my key takeaway.

Know the difference between goals, objectives and outcomes is so important.  Having a lesson plan prepared and spelled out will be the key to success.  

I learned to be mindful of different student learning methods and how to begin to incorporate options in sharing the content required.  

Being a brand new instructor I found most of this information invaluable! I really liked learning different ways of teaching and plan to use the stand up/sit down form in my classroom as well as Kahoot. 

As a college instructor coming from an elementary school education experience, I was happy to see the focus on the difference between formative and summative assessment.  Both have their place, and both are needed for successful classrooms.   

As an ADN nursing instructor, I will make sure to use horizontal alignment. In nursing school, it is imperative that students are able to build on their nursing skills each semester and meet industry/board of nursing standards along the way. This also ensures that my students are competitive as they continue their education in BSN or MSN programs. 

I learned that while it's important to plan the curriculum not every part of it needs to be planned and to let students engage in there on learning active participation and to help students understand how the lesson help them meet the curriculum goals.  

As a new instructor I was somewhat confused about goals, objectives, and outcomes because it seemed that I have heard them used interchangeably, now the terms make a more sense.

It was also good to be refreshed on Bloom's Taxonomy. 

I have learned that having a teaching plan is important. I also learned that there are many different ways to get that plan across to students. I plan to use some of the techniques in my practice going forward. 

KCTCS sets the curriculum and aligns it with the nursing courses in the ADN program. Competencies are already set as well as learning objectives and student course outcomes. Clinical competency is also evaluated using a set clinical outcomes guide. The instructor planning and providing the content/activities is highly important for the student's success. The instructor has to provide the required content to meet those learning outcomes. That is challenging at times as an instructor of less than 2 years. 

I enjoyed the explanation of the three domains: cognitive, psychomotor, and affective. We have a lot of adjunct faculty at our program and I am going to share and reinforce the affective domain to stress the importance of our professional behavior in clinic. I also loved the employability skills. We are constantly stressing this to the students and currently use professionalism standards rubrics to grade the students. I would like to combine our professionalism standards with the employability assessments. 

Planning is one of the most critical parts when teaching a course. It keeps you prepared and confident in what you are teaching. 

Planning is important for curriculum development. Every second of a class does not need to be planned, however I personally like to have a flexible plan of how the course is laid out for students. 

My understanding of instructional alignment is where the goals, objectives, teaching methods, and outcomes align with the students' needs and abilities and with the standards of the profession(s) that are related to the coursework. 

Very interesting regarding curriculum mapping and setting up the learning according to the learners abilities and needs while at the same time using tools to help with the interaction and assessing the learning of the student. I find that the information on the rubrics to be very valuable as it is a method that I am using, the information helped to clarify some questions I had.

Some reason I never thought of it, 'begin with the end'. It makes sense as to what outcomes you want the students to learn or gain when developing a lesson plan.

One of the first things I realized as new teacher was that I need to have a plan that fostered student engagement.  When things are thrown together with little planning, there is less student engagement and I always saw an increase in behavior issues.   I also Like the idea of focusing on employability.  We talk about things like being on time and dressing appropriately, but it open doesn't get tied to employability, rather these are the rules, you must follow them - not why this is important.  Showing students the rubric would bring awareness to to different things employers are looking for in an employee and how they rate in comparison to others.

Not only do we need to connect with the student we need to help them connect with their own interests. They may want to study drafting but don't want to do it as a career. That's ok, but as instructors we can help students find their passion and aim it toward a goal that aligns with their desired skills. We can help them set goals and realistic expectations to best utilize their education.

Planning out a curriculum for your students based on your framework is important because it keeps you flowing smoothly and if you flow smoothly, the students have less time for disruptions. Plus it helps with evaluations. 

Sign In to comment