Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've learned that the Bloom's taxonomy of my college years has evovlved and changed and I need to also consider psychomotor objectives much more intently. Also, a CTE teacher has an obligation to teach students soft skills and align objectives across industry and state. As a result, I need to devote more classtime to developing such skills. Side note: these rubrics and assessments are awesome. 

Setting clear objectives and outcomes so that your teaching effectively. 

Being the only person in my district that teaches what I do, I really took to heart the vertical and horizontal alignment of the material. I need to reach out to other districts to see what they are doing and how my students will measure up to fellow peers. 

I agree alot about what is being communicated here about goals, objectives, planning so we can calculate what goals and objectives need to be met along the way. That may be one of the hardest things for some teachers to comprehend for the sake of the student and their learning goals. I think having a good plan in place before the week, month, and/or year starts is a great way to keep and hold teachers accountable for what is being taught on a daily, weekly and yearly basis. 

Material can be Aligned in a variety of ways, which allows students multiple ways to demonstrate their knowledge and progress Academically and towards their career goals. 

The most important part to teach is planning, but not always, sometimes you have to be able to change your methods.

The rubric examples of how to assess employability skills was very helpful Thank you!

Understanding goals, objectives and outcomes and how important that they align.

Having a plan is important to the classroom environment to pace the class time and a guide to what will be discussed that day. unit, timeframe. 

It's important to have a plan and make sure that everything alingns with the outcomes that you want.

As a new instructor, I came in having to create quite a bit of my curriculum as I went. We had to move to a two year degree, I started with a very advanced class who were at the tail end of the bachelors students. Since then, I've had to adjust my curriculum significantly to meet the needs of the new two year students. Toss COVID into the mix and it's been a wild first two years teaching! 

I've defintely seen the benefits of curriculum alignment first hand. I have and continue to look for ways to make our program's vertical alignment smoother for incoming students and more specific for students working through the program.

Employability and Standard One generally can connect directly to our work in so many ways.  Planning for Lessons and for Vertical Integration, Standards/Competencies, and Industry standards is super important.

A plan that incorporates the varied learning styles and objectives of all learners is critical. Not just an ABC's to the Framework.

I love the employability skills rubrics. I'm going to use those in several of my classes going forward. 

I started this years class by telling the students they are in a very technical field and that their name means everything . I've told them that they have to look and act professional for what ever job they are going to be doing and that no matter what job it is they want to be on time and do it to the best of their knowledge. I have found out that if you don't keep pushing them they won't get their assignments done on time. Each student learns at different paces , some you have to tell others you have to tell and show the proper procedure and then you have some that don't want to learn at all.

A plan will help and guide us in class as well as in the program. The curriculum will align with the program outcomes

Reply to Emily Esau's post: I love a rubric! Keeps everyone on the same page.

One of the things I am considering using in my courses is the employability assessment with an emphasis on their communication skills to help them think about what they need to work on to be successful in interviews and on the job. I can tie that back into a journal assignment asking them to reflect on the results of the assessment.

The horizontal alignment vs. vertical alignment gave me some ideas about how to cover more ground in my introducgtory classes.  There is quite a bit of similar content in two courses.  I have been locked into this idea that I had to cover the same material in both, but I think this gave me "permission" to think more about how to lighten up in the overlapping material so we can explore the dissimilar content in more depth. 

Also, I have been trying more this year to think about where we want to end - the objectives - than where we want to start.  It is like a roadmap (if you remember those) when you are planning a vacation.  You need to figure out where you want to end and then figure out how to get there.

What I have learned from module EC102 and how I will us it 

To effectively educate a student for success in their chosen profession, a teacher must use instruction that emphasizes the highest standards of the profession in each course of study that makes up the program of study for that profession. Some of the industries' standard levels may change based on recent technology, changed rules and regulations, etc. Other standard levels will remain the same such as ethical considerations and fiduciary responsibilities to clients. Each course comprising the curriculum should be evaluated on a regular basis to ensure all course material remains up to date and relevant to the profession. Once the instruction standards are defined, identify for each course a set of objectives that align with the skills required of someone in the profession. Choose teaching and learning activities that require the student to use multiple cognitive levels. Continuously review required assignments to make sure each is a direct assessment that demonstrates the students' knowledge and skills regarding the objectives the assignments are meant to assessTeaching and learning activities should be designed in a way that effectively replicates real world scenarios of the profession where the knowledge and skill being taught is needed to produce a successful outcomeInformation for how each assignment is measured and graded should be kept to the ensure accuracy, consistency, and integrityAs a post-secondary program instructor, I could make efforts to work with secondary program instructors to identify dual credit offering possibilities 

Sign In to comment