Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Aligning my curriculum to facilitate employable skills is a MUST in education today.

Planning with flexibility is important.  You have to have a plan, but also be flexible to the needs of the students and the questions that are presented in class.  An employers does not expect that you will spend your time on social media, but that is the go-to behavior for a students when nothing is planned for the class time.

As a teacher I need to be aware of the state and district standards so that the students are prepared and meet the expectations of the course requirements.

I think that learning how to make the difference between hands on learning and in the classroom learning. Key to success. 

I learned how to think about wriitng out a good acessment plan. Objectives

I intend to recenter to focus on learning outcomes with my students and ensuring that what is being tested centers on the learning outcomes. I like the building of Bloom's taxonomy regarding the levels of understanding. I intend to bring this up to students so they may understand how to build on learning the content. 

Organizing and planning course lessons and posting them in Blackboard allows students to also organize and plan their study path. Understanding the subject and working on their weaknesses and strengths at the levels that are required to be successful. 

While I learned several things, I quickly saved the employability rubrics for later use!  I have given a professionalism score in courses, but really liked how these rubrics were set up.

It's been a long time since I've revisited summative and formative assessments. It would be good to be conscientious that not everything students do in the classroom needs to be graded. Also, having reviewed Bloom's Taxonomy, I can clearly see it in how I was handled by my high school teachers. 

I learned, and was gratefully reminded, that it is imperative curriculum, our QEP's, and how we conduct our classrooms aligns with industry expectation. All of these things are really just tools that not only support one another, but are needed to make a well polished, educated, industry-ready (not just a student/graduate). Furthermore, even though we may like to be organized, well planned, and teach to the competencies, we have to keep in mind all the different learning styles that might be in the classroom, and constantly try to connect to them. 

I agree with others who shared they gained insight from the explanation of the differences between our big picture goals, objectives, or the steps to reach our goals, andthe outcomes, which are often an end result far greater than the original goal, such as landing a job in the field. I also appreciated the explanations of the 3 areas of Bloom's Taxonomy. I think my assessments focus a bit too heavily on the remember part and not enough on the application or extension of the students' new knowledge to a practical workplace situation.

Very good info in this section.  Know the difference between goals, objectives,  and outcomes is so important. And to say "The student will be able to..." . The three different domains is very important to help with teaching. I teach at post secondary so my job is to get my students ready with those employable skills and teach them about the workplace.

I like the idea of introducing new tools or equipment in lecture then following up with hands on implementation of what we just talked about. I will be aligning more horizontally to carry these skills over to the lab portion of each class.

I learned the importance of structure to the educational process that includes vertical and horizontal emphasis as it has been outlined in bloom's taxonomy.  Application of these steps through structured objectives, outcomes, and evaluation serve to reinforce a proven method of education.

It is so important to have a plan for the class, set clear objectives and goals. I learned the difference between goals and objectives. We need to set clear objectives to get the goal. I talk with my students about what I expect from them. For example, in my case, teaching Spanish, I say them that it is important to learn how to make short questions, answers, how to make negative and affirmative statements. With this in mind, they can have a clear idea on which are the objectives for the class, what should they learn.

Planning allows a teacher to both be prepared with necessary content, but also allows for easier adaptation when the plan goes off-book.

Being horizontally aligned is very important to student success.

A good classroom plan can make teaching so much easier! I love to use Planbook.com to do all my lesson planning. 

I love the Bloom's Taxonomy image for this course.  This course has given me some great ideas to use in my own classroom.  I plan to get a poster like the image and use it to help me create engaging activates with higher order thinking.  

Students learn at different levels, ensuring that the curriculum aligns well with the community standards is the goal. Having students reflect on what they have learned will help to instill the knowledge they have accumulated.

Both vertical and horizontal alignment are important. 

Sign In to comment