Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Like Matthew my lecture and labs are separated. but I believe that lesson planning is important. We want our students to be prepared so we should be prepared. We need to be accountable for our part in thier education. We need to hold them accountable for their acts just as well as they should hold us accountable. How can not not be ready to teach them WHEN/IF the show up. I believe that happiness is contagious, so I go in class ready to talk and I will talk all day until they start talking back.

The students are why we are here, why we do what we do and teach what we teach. Students get out of our courses what they put into it and that holds just as true for the instructor, because we in a sense are students ourselves, we are constantly evolving because the student is constantly evolving. 

We can look at the traditional student what about the non-traditional student, the one that hasn't been in class for 20 years, non-traditional students must learn how to learn, all over again, how to study, how to digest and retain the materials that are put in front of them. We as the instructors, teachers, professors must never forget and become complacent we must be ever evolving with the student.

I learned to coordinate standards, programs, objectives, instruction, and assessments within not only the broad course as a whole, but also each lesson. 

I learned that the plan in just that a plan.  We do not have to strictly adhere to it but it is worthwhile to make.  I will start making lesson plans.

I have a greater understanding of how to plan and assess objectives and outcomes within my course and each lesson plan.   The “Bloom’s Taxonomy Action Verbs” is a resource I will use often from now on. :)

I enjoyed the statement, "Students need to see the value...". I also was grateful to have a refresher on Bloom's Taxonomy and how to write objectives. 

I learned about the three domains and how each are important.  A student's soft skills are just as important as being able to learn and apply content, the cognitive domain.  I had also never seen Bloom's Taxonomy and the pyramid, since my degree is not in teaching.  The Bloom pyramid really made me think about how students are able to progress in their learning level of a given concept.  I learned that students can be involved in the process of setting objectives.  I plan to take the following action steps for my classroom: 1.  Assigning 1 pt per class for attendance and being on time.  2.  For a given concept, try to include as many levels of the Bloom's Taxonomy pyramid as I can, knowing that remembering and understanding have to be established first.  3.  In group work, include the soft skills in their evaluation.      

Very important module on lesson plans and employability skills. I plan to re-evaluate my lesson plans and add employability skills to there grade.

I have never really paid much attention to the Bloom's taxonomy, but will now. I agree that it is important to have the lessons planned out. I know I have been guilty of "winging" it and relying on my experience and knowledge to present information. While the information I present was accurate, it maybe was not presented in the most logical order to facilitate the student's learning to the maximum efficiency.

This material reinforces the concept that know is 40% and Doing is 40%, Yes I said 40% each because the student also needs to know how to corrolate one with the other, for example. One student excels at the hands on but cannot grasp the technical concept of what he is doing and another student dominates the technical concept but doesn't see how to take the data learned and use it to complete a task. Student a can see the task in thier mind and how to manipulate it and student B understands the concept but can't manipulate the task.

vertical and horizontal alignment.

I liked the rubric with employability skills. Some teachers view these 21st century skills as things that are taught in passing or in discretionary spaces in the classroom, however this module suggests that teachers should teach them explicilty with goals, objectives, outcomes, a rubric with criteria for success, and a method for assessment. 

This will help me to align my course material to make sure I am meeting curriculum needed for my program and credentialing  body for our program.

Although I was formerly familiar with program-level alignment, I hadn't given much consideration to course / lesson alignment. I love the emphasis on workplace skills - especially soft skills and employability! SO HUGE! 

This course has given me a lot to think on -- I have worked on goals & objectives with individual students, but usually only after they're in trouble in class. I can see where it would be valuable to do this right out of the gate - get their buy in within the first week or two. 

Creating lesson plans helps to keep organized and provides structure to what and when you are teaching something to students. 

A greater understanding of Bloom's taxonomy.  How it is important with internal alignment

It is important so that all the information can be covered and things won't be missed.

I've learned that a planned corricilum does a lot both the teacher and the students.  We can both be comfortable and progress in the material if it is built such that we both have it broken down into parts.

Enforce my 3 roles as model, manager and motivator. Don't be a pal! Encourage daily!

I'm excited about the teaching possibilities that each of the learning domains offer. This is very important to student engagement which can lead to achievement in CTE and into post secondary learning. Can't wait to get started!

Sign In to comment