Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Technology Tools for Assessing Student Learning | Origin: EL106

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Evaluating Student Learning in Online Courses --> Technology Tools for Assessing Student Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have learned that you must select the best tools not omly in the classroom, but also on line. You have to make sure whatever training tools you are using are right for your class and the projects that come up along the way. 

In this module I learned the importance of assessing the assessment tool, in addition to the learner.

Thsi information was new to me because i'm a new online instructor. Having thes different assessment tools available

will assist me in teaching my class.

I learned that there is a tracking tool in Work called Track Changes which could be very helpful in providing feedback on a written assignment.

I just finished the first module which is identifying the appropriate technology tools for assessment. Very informative section and we all look for the best assessment strategy or tools to help us in achieving the learning outcomes of our courses and enhance students' learning. This section provided me with insights into the different assessment tools and when using them such as online quizzes/tests, virtual lab, e-portfolio, and WebQuest. In addition to the advantages/disadvantages of them, these are some notes taken:  

1.  Testing and acknowledging the assessment tool before applying it to make sure it is appropriate to evaluate the learning outcomes.
  2. Having many tools does not necessarily mean the learning is happening, thus the main idea behind using technology is to enhance our students' learning. 
  3. Provide online feedback to the students.
  4. Collecting students' feedback on the technology tool used in the assessment is very important for further improvement and avoid any challenges in the next assignment.
  5. Using different assessment tools as students have different learning styles.
  6. Developing a grading rubric and criteria are essential to have a consistent evaluation for our students.

I learned that there are other options for quizzes such as audio/video, digital portfolio and virtual labs. 

I learned that the importance of researching the assesment helps to match the goal of  the learning

Track Changes is a new way for me to track my students assignments. I also learned that its very important to make sure the onilne class is easy and simple in words, to lesson the confusion, that the student would be able to challenge in class, in person

While working remotely with virtual classrooms there is still numerous ways to assess students using many of the technical tools designed for each individual assessment. Tests, quizzes, virtual labs, web based projects. Providing adequate feedback to each student and communication is essential for a successful outcome. 

Well, I must say that objective assessments lend themselves well to the electrical program in that it is the format used by the state licensing authorities as to whether or not an individual candidate for licensure meets the standard criteria set forth for licensure is met.

At which point the candidate will be considered " a qualified individual ", and consequently obtain the electrical license for their profession.

I have been teaching with online tools for the past seven years. Students accessments in the beiginning were very criitical but as time went on the majority of the student body came to embrace technology. Why? The age groug of the student body got younger.

After reviewing this module what stands out to me the most is that online tools are great; however, if you do not utilize it correctly, and or your students do not undertsand it, it has no purpose. 

In this mod we learned about the different types of assessments (knowledge-based, performance-based, portfolio-based and project-based Assessment) and how, when correctly utilized, they can help with understanding how much the student has learned.

Reply to Karen Juchniewicz's post: I was not aware of this tool until I read it in the module. It is a very useful tool for us and for our students.  

I learned that not all assessment methods are appropriate to use with all courses and that not all tools within those assessment methods need to be implemented.  The use of appropriate tools should be well thought out and reviewed at course end by students and instructor as to their effectivness.

Using the different types of assessment, such as Knoledge based, Preformance based, Porfolio based and Project based, the students will be provided the appropriate assessment. All students learn differently and using all of the assessment toold you as the instructor will be able to see growth in learning. 

Various types of assessment tools can give the instructor feedback that will allow them ways to encourge critical thinking.

As with everything in life, havi the proper tools is very important. Instructors should be aware of the technology they have available and if any restrictions or barriers. One of the best way to evaluate this is by enlisting students feedback. Instructors should then ensure students feedback is acknowledged and responded upon, or students may feel that their contributions are not needed or heard.

To assess whether or not my students are obtaining the knowledge that they need, my industry needs a great deal more "hands-on" assignments than knowledge based assignments. Though, they are important, they carry less weight in my mind.

Sign In to comment