Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is a great guide to see what someone personality is through a test when starting to work together on a team. However, of course that is not possible in everyday life, but it is vital to look how someone reacts and play to their personality to work together. 

Learning about the different personality  allows you not to label a student but more understand how their personality affects their studies.  Knowing this you can best serve your students. 

During my 41 years in Education, I've seen a number of personality traits assessments.  "True Colors" seems similar to "Colors," which was used in correcctions.

Discovering the different personality traits that my students posess may enchance my instruction to them.  When you can tap into the students intuitive learning then more will get accomplished in the classroom.  This is why many teachers use different modes to attain student work.  

I love personality trait models. I find it so fascinating and on point! I work with students who are transitiong from high school into their first jobs. Having them take personality trait tests helps them (and me) understand what jobs/career path might be a good fit for them and where their strengths, skill sets, and interests lie. 

Communication is a key in every profession. Understanding yourself and others will improve understanding, reduce frustration and result in a better experience for both instructors and students. 

Learning about the different personality traits can help in lesson planning.   Understanding each learning style will make me a better instructor.

During my 35 years in Dental office, I've seen a number of personality traits assessments to help my patients and co workers.  "True Colors" seems similar to many of the personality traits test I've done in the past. I have used many of these to help my students as well.

I learned that when it comes to Keirsey's Temperament...I can be all four.  I'm not sure what that means for my teaching style.

I agree totally with Thomas. In order to be a good teacher you need to understand how your student behaves and what is stimulating to them so you can speak their language.

This module was extremely interesting. I have participated in a few of the personality assessments discussed in the module and find that there are some consistencies that ring true for me. Jung- I assessed as an ENTJ.

While the pure Jung followers would argue that once and ENTJ, always an ENTJ. I have found that my personality traits do adapt to the situation at hand.  The old saying...."know your audience". After years of feeling like a bull in a china store, I have learned that gaining awareness and understanding of one's primary personality characteristics allows for adaptation to the situation at hand.  For example....

I tend towards being an extravert. The common notion is that the more of an extravert someone is, the more of a social butterfly they are. People tend to expect that extraverts are chatty, sociable and draw energy from crowds. They tend to be assertive and cheerful in their social interactions. Well, that may be true, such energy is not always palatable to others. Especially those who may see themselves as introverted.

Introverted people tend to enjoy more alone time. They just prefer solo or small-group activities. So when managing a classroom environment we must first know ourselves and then strive to know our students. We need to create a balance within the learning environment so as to reach all students.

That was my take away.

I have known myself being a phlegmatic for most of my life. I also know that I am largely an introvert. Here I learned additional ways to characterize personality types and temperaments. I am having a hard time fully comprenending the Myers-Briggs types, because there are so many. Specifically, I am having difficulty distinguishing between Sensing, Perceiving, and Feeling - these seem to be so similar to me. Maybe someone could explain these to me better.

Reply to Cynthia Strycharz's post:That's a great point. As we learn more about various personality types and traits, we can remain more objective and understanding when dealing with our faculty and studnts in various situations. This would allow us to be less judgemental and not let our own feelings get involved.

Identifying a student's personality type is very important, especially if they are having issues in the class. Because the way that you resolve an issue must be condusive to their personality type; otherwise, you may stay stuck in the same issue with the student. 

we can assign group members to a particulaer group based on the personality traits study to work better.

I had brief;y seen the true colors measure but not in detail. So I would have to say that is what I learned most about this module. I am familiar with the other personality scales.

people tend to gather and group themselves according to their prosonality

Personality tests show similar characteristics a person may identify with. This is a tool we can use for improving Insturcor student and student-to-student communication. 

The obvious take away for me is that there are many different personality traits that affect ones ability to teach and learn.  Everyone does not fit inot one box but being away of the differences makes us better instructors and being able to understand our differences may make it easier for us to adapt and improvise when necessary.

It is important to learn and understand about different personality traits, especially as an instructor. Assessing the students personality is beneficial.

Sign In to comment