Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personality traits are interesting dynamics. Understanding what makes a student tick helps in how to deliver the course content.

As a Psychology and Mental Health Counseling major, these are not new to me. In fact, when I have first term students, I often have them perform the 16 Personalities test so that we can get a better undetstanding of their preferred method of learning. Sometimes there are surprises for the students while taking this and the adjustment because of it can make learning more enjoyable.

The various personality models represent different ways of identifying major personality characteristics.  

I understand the concept of personality traits, this can be very advantageous. However, people can fall into different categories. Using this as a guideline when preparing a class is important to reach all of your students.

Understanding a student's personality helps to learn how to teach them.

I learned how different personality traits make communication and action different in each individual. Understanding these will help comprehend the students better.

I have been an Instructor in a classroom and in worksettings for over 20 years.  Everyone has a different way of learning.  It is the responsibility of the Instructor to know who the learner is, how do they learn and what teaching communication method works best.

BMT is a good personality test.  I have taken it several times over the past 30 years.  I found out that our personalities remain the same over time.  It would be a good test to give students and pass along to teachers to know the temperment of the student.

I was familiar with the Myers-Briggs test as I have taken that several times in the past.  The True Colors (TC) system was new to me, as well as Keirsey’s temperaments.  Understanding these various personality traits is valuable as a supervisor and an instructor since everyone absorbs and processes knowledge in different ways. Of course, the ability to discern the personalities of students in an online course that is usually eight weeks in length is difficult.  Furthermore, personalities can change over time.  One challenge we have in our classes is our student body is extremely diverse in terms of age and socio-economic level and life experiences (most are adult learners), and creates an interesting dynamic in the classroom to bring along all the learners.

I took the Myers Briggs many years ago and it was helpful to know more about my own personality.  I think giving students the opportunity to take a personality test early on in their post-secondary education would be beneficial to them and the instructor.  If this is not an option, at least making students aware of the different personality types may be helpful.

I have learned that while the instructor and student(s) may be striving to attain a similar outcome in a given course, the paths taken to get to that outcome are very different based on the individual personality traits. The instructor should be aware of these various personality traits that make up their classroom. Maintaining that understanding will help ensure that collaboratively the desired outcome can be attained, though through very different lenses.

I am going to watch for these personaltiy traits.

These personality assessments always fascinate me. I have done Myers-Briggs and Colors before and didn't know too much about the others. I was able to identify my personality in some and there is overlapping. I disagree, however, on where I fall on the table - I'm in 3 different columns. 

The information on the different types of personality traits was very informatiove.

Identifying the personality of the students will definitly help us teach them better.

Dr.Rahman

While these personality categorizations are thorough and cover a broad range of people, they are not black and white. People may be combinations of different personality profiles.

It's fun and interesting to learn about different personality types.

I've done several of these personality tests and though I'm an INFJ in Myers-Briggs, I am not in the corresponding Hippocrates or color theroy.  What that tells me is that people exist on a spectrum and are not easily categorized.  Though it helps to understand student's temperments, I think it's important to meet them wherever they are on the personality spectrum.

Students personalities are good to observe so that you can get to know your students better and help them succeed in their learning goals.

Important to recognize and adapt to the differences in individuals. Also important not to make assumptions about them based on a quick superficial personality assessment.

Sign In to comment