Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student engagement is key is ensuring that students are actively learning in an online platform. It's important for students to be able to communicate dirrectly with the instructor regardless of the platform. I'm currently teaching hybrid classes (some students in class and some students working virtually) through Google Classroom. I regulary post messages for all students to see in Classroom (upcoming assignments, answers to frequently asked questions), but I also email individual students directly to check in on missing assignments, provide encouragement, etc. I've also used the Remind app which allows my virtual learners to message me directly with questions. I think the students are more likely to not only complete the work, but also feel comfortable reaching out for assistance if I make sure to provide many opportunities for them to communicate with me.

I've found that breaking down the course material into weekly segments helps keep students on track without feeling overwhelmed. Along with written notes, I provide videos of lectures of new content and demostrations/examples of activities. Some students simply read the written notes, others spend a lot of time with the videos, and others do a lot of their own research. This combination seems to allow vortual students to successfully complete assignments and assessments on par with my in class students.

Improvements could be made to student-student engagement. Message boards and discussion questions may help students interacte with each other. This would help with a sense of community, and would allow students to support and assist each other. Weekly Google Meets could be used as a way for students to "see" me and each other, and would help create a more cohesive educational environment for students who are working on their own from home.

Friendly reminders and social learning plateforms 

Social learning plat forms are needed in our classes to keep the student involved

I learned what engagement is all about. I learned the types of social engagement and the types of motivational engagement. I do think some of this is for college level learners but I can I apply it to high school. I need improvement on student-to-student engagement. To help improve this I plan to introduce an Introductory activity and encourage the students to share. Another improvement I plan to make is constructive feedback. I need to make a conscious effort to let the students know how they are doing in my class.

I enjoyed this course and it helped me learn that online engagement and motivating my students online is going to require that I think outside the box and get more creative to get students to find each other and work together. I have taught in person on campus class for so long that motivating and keeping students engaged in person is natural and ease for me.

I agree with Jessica. This is a point that is even expressed online for younger students. They are on ZOOM and one child is sitting and eating a bowl of cereal. The teacher asked if that was allowed in the school. The point is to make this an area they recognize. The behavior in the schools that are appropriate and not may also be used online.

You can motivate some students by engaging in a conversation with them about what intrigues them in their carear choices. Why did they they pick this field and what they want out of it.  Then you can change your class around on how it relates to what they want and what they gain from it when they mix the two.

I have learned that the students really require a lot of support from the teacher at high school level.  They are not as motivated as say an adult learning.  Their motivation is completely different and needs a good amount of promting and guidance from the instructor.  I need to acquaint myself more with the tools that are availible like Nearpod and online games to enhance and motivate their learning experince.  Over the course of this year I have tried to change up small things because I felt the big changes only confused them especially those who were hot and cold in the engagement of the class.  It has been tough motivating kids this way- such a big change for the majority of students while I did have a few who absolutely thrived in this envirnoment.  

Students must be motivated regardless of learning in person or online.  It is important to break down assignments into managable, meaningful and comprehensive assignments.  Open ended questions will ensure meaningful engagement while being specific with assignment content and deadlines. This will ensure the framework for expectations.  Student feedback is essential to modify a lesson or assignment for full participation.  It is important for students to feel they are contributing in a meaningful way as this can be a powerful motivator.

I have learned several ways to make an impact through this course.

• Having an impacting and effective introduction and ice breaker
  • Making dynamic communication from pupil to pupil and pupil to instructor is key to retention and effective learning
  • Identifying learning styles is tricky with online courses and I have learned ways to identify styles and keep all engaged in learning

Engaging students through questions and feedback is a great way to engage students.

This course has reinforced that the student needs connection and anticipation, even excitement for the upcoming class.

Personal communication from me, as well as thoughful evaluation and feedback on their performance, are ways to keep students engaged.

Creating a variety of ways to explain assignments will result in better student outcomes.

Including other staff and admin will let them know that other people are monitoring their progress and cheering their successes.

These are areas that I can easily improve upon.

I learned Excellent motivational ideas

Over the years of teaching and through this training...I have learned that motivational engagement is important for the learning experience. If learners are enjoying the process, they're engaged...enjoying the material, enjoying the presentation, and are motivated to learn and soak up all that they can learn (like sponges).

Also, it is important to be efficient and effective in your feedback to allow students to promptly understand where they stand in the course. When students know and are aware, they're able to make adjustments if they need and will be successful in the course.

A few things for sure that I have learned:

1. Although I pride myself in timely feedback, I do recognize that it is not always effective and detailed enough. All of these are necessary.

2. I think that creating a social environemnt if important, and although I do this at the beginning, will now begin doing more of it throughout a course.

I really liked the idea of adding a wiki link under the announcement page that the students could create and build. I also liked the ice breaker and introducing some general information about each other to create a better bond between the students and staff. Both are great ideas that I'd like to apply into my courses. 

I need to improve on using the tools as were discussed to increase the intrinsic motivation n my students. Instead of having them "robotically" in class, I want to make the material perhaps more interesting, as well as more engaging for the students. This way, hopefully, they will become even more involved in their learning process, and feel they are the pimary cause for their own success. They take more ownership that increases their "inner" motivation to learn and achieve. 

I learned that although it is an online class, just making sure you have detailed written instructions, that may not be enough for all different types of learners.  I also learned that many students taking online courses will need constant motivation to keep up with their work.  I tend to add what I call my "Monday Motivation" to my weekly announcements.  It is where I will add a quote for that week.  Each quote I select is uplifting and is a small reminder that we are in it together.

Through this module I learned the importance of student to student interaction in terms of getting students more involved with the course and not just going through the motions. If they are actively helping other students then they are naturally more vested in the course.

Engaging with online students when they join the "Winess protection program" till the last week of class the procrastinators It is easier to help the willing than to push a rope.

Sign In to comment