Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivational engagement can add enjoyment to any learning experience.  The more joy a student has attending the course, the more motivated they will be in achieving the learning objectives.  Motivated students tend to procrastinate less and produce fewer zero scores.

Effective and efficient feedback also contributes to student's motivation.  It always feels good to know your instructor truly cares about your learning experience and wants to do all they can to see you be successful.

Since students have different ways they prefer to learn, so should you as an instructor have different ways of providing directions and guidance.  While one way works for one student, it may not work at all for another.

Content chunking is a great way of providing the right amount of material for your students to have to digest.  If items are too long, they can reduce student motivation because the task becomes overwhelming given their busy lives.

Offering friendly reminders also contributes to student motivation.  Most adult learners have many other responsibilities and can easily overlook a requirement or a suspense date.  Providing friendly reminder in a consistent manner show your empathy and care.

Appropriately leveraging the many technologies available for student engagement can also contribute immensely to student motivation.  Using various technologies can keep the learning fun and interesting.

Motivational engagement is a team approach. All departments need to be on board with inspiring intrinsic motivation within the learner. Providing positive/constructive feedback decreases poor grades and increases engagement. I will make conscious efforts to have available a variety of ways to provide content information as each learner has their own understanding of information

I have learned that motivation can falter in these times of digital or hybrid learning.  I have learned valuable techniques to stimulate learners to participate and engage their mind beyond the facts provided to them.  I believe prompt and thorough feedback is critical in motivating learners to think beyond the facts before them and to be able to apply the knowledge in a practical and useful way.

It is important to keep students motivated and engaged in activity, which encludes giving positive and constructive feedback. It is good to keep learning iteresting with content chunking

I have learned that it takes more of an effort to keep online students motivated since they're not interacting as much as they would if in a classroom with others. Motivation can make the class more interesting for the student and prevent procrastination. Since these students are often balancing many out responsibilities, frequent reminders of upcoming assignments and timely feedback can be very helpful in keeping them focused and motivated.

activities sounds great.

This was an excellent reflective module that helped me think about the many different ways not only to teach, but how to engage students. Engagement is particularly difficult with a computer barrier in online learning, so being on top of social and motivation engagement is especialyl important. I will have an online and in person lab class for the course I am teaching, so fortunately will be able to teach in both scenarios. My course has a large number of powerpoint slides, so the concept of chunking, appropriate breaks, social engagement and more were incredibly stimulating as I begin teaching my first online class.

It is a very common trap to fall into just lecturing. This course reemphasizes what I am learning in my PhD program regarding optimal learning. Peer to peer interaction is not only important for engagement but also for optimal learning as well. This angle offers another option in online engagement that I often do not utilize enough. Thank you for this course!

I have incorporated several techniques in order to keep everyone engage, seeing that students have different leanring styles.

This cours was a breathe of fresh air.  Learning new way to engage with my online students will make the learning more robust.  We have a unique situation...teaching acting online...but many of these concepts still translate. 

I remember staying up late into the night waiting for my instructor to answer my questions or send a clarification, so I've learning the importance of efficient and effective feedback.

I believe that as online instructors we need to be more than just instructors, we need to also remember to be cheerleaders for our students. It is important that they remember that there is a person behind the computer and we care about them. We need to remember to send words of encouragement to them, especially during this time of the pandemic because students are dealing with so much more than just school right now. 

I have discovered that my online feedback is clear and concise and gives the students information to improve upon their courses. Area of improvement is still trying to keep the students engaged, particularly when part of the lecture is done with the whole group online. I also feel it is hard to demonstrate some of the radiography concepts without the students actually taking any x-rays.

Motivation is critical in online learning without the physical classroom environment

Communication is a priority ,listen and respond to their feedback within limits ( I'm not available 24/7 ) give them several venues of communication have them realize that the response may not be instananeous encourage them to work with other students who may have a better grasp on your question I also have to make it interesting so they stay motivated encourage discussion boards try and discover what it takes to get them motivated and I'm always open to altering my method if it makes it easier for them to grasp a concept I'm trying to get across 

I learned that its very important to keep your students motivated and engaged while lecturing as well as while they are doing online assignments. I learned that we have to make sure that the material is not only accurate but also effective for each learning syle.

Having taught in a blended program before in a university setting, I thought it would not be a great challenge to transition our ground students to full virtual/online format. I was dead wrong. Our student population is different and have different home environment, responsibilities, priorities, and backgrounds that may not prove conducive to an online learning environment. To improve both social engagement and nurture motivational engagement, I have learned that practices need to be evaluated every time for effectiveness and relevance. What worked before may not work all the time. With different age groups and different learner styles come the challenge of being flexible and well-rounded as an instructor/facilitator. Maybe a needs assessment at the beginning of each course may help identify potential issues and allow the instructor to plan ahead.

This lesson was a solid reminder of how important communication is and how important it is to engage all parties involved for the cycle of communication to sustain energy toward a common team goal of success. In order to do that it is essential that I quickly assess the needs of each student to understand the importance to work together.

Studdnts need a variety of assignments and if possible, varety for each learning outcome. If a student needs to meet outcmoe X, it would be nice if you can comepup with a few different projects that will satisfy assessing if the student learned that outcome. Studnts can select the option that matches their learning style. 

I have learned that I need to communicate with my students more between classes and offer them alternative instructions on the assignments.  

I have learned the methods of engaging students online is different from the traditional in class setting.  It is important to enage students before the course starts with a welcome announcement or video.  This can help build rapport with students and give them a sense of connection before the course starts.  I also learned the need to engage students during the class to allow for social engagement with me as the instructor and with their peers.  Lastly, I learned that engagement extends to provided feedback, instruction and reminders.  These tools will help me to better engage my students online.

Sign In to comment