Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As a facilitator, the go-between for both student and instructor I can double-check that the students have the contact information for their instructor, especially the names.  I can encourage the students with reminders that they can reach out to their instructors for feedback, insight, questions, concerns, etc. prior to them feeling discouraged.  This can be reiterated early on in the course proactively. 

After going through the module i learned that i must engage and interact even more while teaching online due to the added obstacles. Engaging through various sources will ensure that the point gets across to the students As well as giving proper feed back after an online discussion. Instead of telling them they did a great job i should explain why i belive so and give examples if needed. 

I learned that there are so many ways to engage students in the classroom environment. Motivation is definitely the key as students learn differently and engaging the student from a variety of ways creates an active environment. 

I  have learn that students need motivation in order to be successful.  In order for tha to happen, I am the key.  What I have learn from this all students can be successful.

Working within the learning styles of each student will help motivate those students in the class. Students will respond differently to the different offerings in the course.  Using the outcomes to steer future  ofering will help engage students and help them succeed. 

Gloria, this section was very help[ful It opened my eyes to how important motivation and engagement are such an important aspect of the learning process even thought the class is being taught online. Unfortunately I believe that students today need that enterainment to help them learn or to at least start thingking how this can be fun, engaging during the learning process.

I learned that it's important to have a discussion post each week or unit.  To engage the studetns in ideas and discussions.  If you present a meaninful question and be involved as well you will hopefully get insight and feedback from the students.  Teachers feedback should also be meaninful and constructive to help the studetns inprove and keep them acountable.  

I have always believed that connection and relationships with students are key in the classroom, now that we may have to teach virtually I need to make sure that these connections are grown right off the start because motivation is key for student success and without motivation a class will probably be like pulling teeth.  Make the students feel welcome and important to the class and they will want to be there and learn.   

I learned that shortening lecture into smaller parts can increase motivational engagement. I believe this will allow the students to process the information better and reflect on what the focus of the lesson was.  Also, implementing more social technolgies in the classroom can assist with delivering required information and increase student engagemen.

I've learn diffirent way on keeping my students interested, engage, and motivated. It open my eyes up on the areas that i need to improve on to accomplish all the above.

Creating a LMS Sytem and using the fundementals taught in this online version.  Using chunking to spread out the contents to make sure students are engaged. 

Engagement is created through student-to-student annd student-to-student interaction, adherence to social learning and other motivational theories, explicating relevance, and providing methods of active interaction with the content and the group.

Learning about motivational engagement was very helpful.  The ideas and suggestions given were interesting and useful.  I know when I have large classes giving effective and effiencent feedback it tough, but necessary.  I think if I try to develope a bank of starter statements and categorize them, it might help me be more productive and give feedback in a more timely manner.  I also liked the idea of an intro activity made to start the virtual class off in a productive way.

Transitioning from a face-to-face extensively hands-on classroom to 100% Distance Learning has been a difficult transition for my students.  Working through the Engaging Online Learners course has helped me to think through using strategies that I left in the classroom, such as online games like Quizlet Live and Kahoot.  I need to keep up the social engagement.  The course also challeged me to look for other resources, like class wikis, to encourage more student-to-student engagement.  One thing I had not considered enough before the course was that some students may be limited to their phone for access to the Internet and my LMS.  I will make sure that I attempt to identify this limitation before the class begins in my welcome video.

With the switch to online learning, I have come to understand how important timely feedback is to student engagement in the assigned activity.  I think it is important that I develop a plan for providing feedback in an appropriate amount of time.  Since we are using online learning management systems, it will be important for me to find a way to present the feedback in a meaningful and accessible way to students. To make larger tasks appear more achievable in the online setting, I will chunk large activities into smaller sections for my students.  I like the idea of utilizing the online program called NearPod to present paced lessons to my students in a synchronous setting.

Effective engage is one of the keys to a a successful on-line class.

Since switching mid-March 2020 to all online, I've learned that communicating content in the classroom, especially in a public speaking course, is vastly different from online. Breaking up the presentation and content into 15-minute segments is most important since students clearly are tuning out. In the classroom, a PowerPoint presentation lecture/discussion can work well if enough students participate in the reflecting on the ideas, relating them to textbook readings, and responding in front of their peers. Online students, like I, are staring at tiny video windows where there's a clear distance among learners. Breakout rooms in Zoom can help correct the distancing if enough students engage with each other in the groups, but I have to build in clear goals for each breakout session and clear instructions so students achieve the intended outcomes. For Asynchronous learning, the discussions within Canvas have worked the best since students are used to Facebook and other online forums asking them to comment and respond to other students' thoughts. 

Last quarter I learned that an entirely new set of classroom challenges arise when switching to online distance-learning.  This course broke down some of the challenges and considerations for virtual teaching, and provided ideas for ways to approach these considerations.

I found a lot of this information to be a bit redundant but I'm glad it's helpful to others.  Perhaps because I've already been teaching online for a while now and have taken training courses that were put together a bit more elegantly than this one.  

This seems to be a well put together course.  I am enjoying the course detail, and how it is problem focused.  This should be a great help in my online teaching.  That will enchance my online teaching presents. 

Sign In to comment