Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I know that Engaging for more than an hour time is challenging to keep students engaged for any teachers and refreshers come in many forms .

I learned some techniques on how to engage learners and the importance of motivating them in the course. I will use content to ensure that students are focused on learning the material by chunking into smaller portions. 

I plan to divide PBL units into manageable chunks and provide the instructions for completion of each chunk in a variety of ways.  I also plan to have students provide me with a journal/chronical on a daily basis where they let me know what they have done, what they have questions about and what they still need to do so that they are completing assignments deliberately.  I also plan to study some tutorials available from our tech department on using flipgrid, seesaw, EdPuzzle and screencastify in order to provide instructions in a variety of ways as well as to introduce or clarify information.  

This module was very informative. I learned about motivating the students in ways I didn't know before I took this cource. Having a varity of directions for all to see is a smart idea. The friendly reminders is great students have busy lives. Content chunking is great for the student that may not have an hour or two to spend on line maybe only 15 minutes to post something from a short video. All these will help me better motivate my students on line.  

Students must be motivated intrinsically. 

Communication is the key to the students success, providing positive feedback, keeping them motivated, having a course that is easy to navigate

I learned that our "new normal" will depend on us as educators to be real creative. Since mid March of this year, I have seen how the "lack of communication" can occur with students and their interest to complete and assignment or online activity will vary from student to student. Feedback is crucial. I think that being more of a facilitaor than a "teacher" helps even online learning a place to hear our students ideas and contributions to a course. Creating a more open "learning forum" is what I would like to implemnet this next school year. 

This segment discussed several important subjects, among them that much of the learning process depends on the abilities of the Instructor to make the content interesting, fun, factual, and relative to the modern world. Keeping the ideas and discussions flowing is a big challenge to Instructors, and I feel that this comes best with years of teaching experience and mastery of the subject, which seems to be forever changing! In my own online classes, I generally have a wide spectrum of ages and learning abilities. Understanding group dynamics is thus very important in order to maintain student interest. Material has to be tailored in order to arouse curiosity, one of the greatest gifts that humans have. I usually like to begin a class session with a new vocab word that is germane to the topic, and use it in sentences and refer to it as the class unfolds. Inasmuch as most of my business students do not read a business newspaper (like the Wall Street Journal) or a magazine (like Bloomberg or Forbes), I also like to give, at the outset of a class, a quick summary of the latest business events, and ask everyone to briefly comment why this or that is important and will affect their lives. Another motivational technique I use is to render a business problem that they can solve. I give them the particulars of the problem - such as a Marketing issue - but not the answer. Sometimes I let them work in groups to solve it. Another device I use is to bring a current event article about some important business event or issue to the Board for open discussion - such as how COVID-19 is greatly affecting small businesses. Lastly, on occasion, I show the class a thought-provoking video from PBS Frontline, such as learning about the life of Nelson Mandela for my Leadership course. 

I learned that I have worked with several colleges that have given me a great foundation in online learning. I learned that the term asynchronous refers more to a self directed learner applying themselves throughtout the day rather than having a specific time to attend class and listen to the instructor. 

I learned that I should reach out more to the academic admin and be aware of their role including the role of the advisors in motivating the students. I learned a new term to reach more: creating a wiki for questions, answers and resources. 

I learned that many of the short videos presented by the online learning manager at my college work well so the learning for this unit reinforced this information. 

I learned from the course various techniques like how to leverage technology with the lms to add effective videos . Also, engaging with students prior to class start up. Dr Triana

Great program Dr Triana

Intrinsic motivation is key. Students that required more hands-on teaching are struggling. Deadlines are still a must and periodic "reminders" are very helpful.

I learned alot from this topic. Engaging with students is extremely important when teaching online. A lot of students are not comfortable with the online setting. You engage and make the students feel more comfortable. This is a good motivational tool for online learning. Doing more live sessions or give that one-on-one makes the online learning experience more enjoyable.

I learned that I already implement a lot of these strategies in my course. One thing I can improve is communication via smart phone since most students have quicker access to that versus a computer. I can have the students download the app that syncs with the LMS or I can start using the Remind App to communicate with students more efficiently. 

Engaging in online classes you really have to be an effective and efficient instructor in order to help the learner reach his or her goals in the class 

After see this videos about Ideas on Online Learner Engagement, Social Engagement, and Motivational Engagement presented by: Aaron Appleby & David Grimes now we are going to jump into the realm of motivational engagement. Basically, motivational engagement seeks to add enjoyment to the learning experience. If learners are enjoying the process, they are enjoying the material, enjoying how it's presented, then they are going to be engaged.

I learned to create alternate ways for students to contact me. Typically email is provided and a phone number. They are posted on the course menu "instructor office or info", but I learned to encourage students to save it in another place, like contact numbers, in case of internet issues, or if unable to aces course.

I may need to invest in better video equipment. I would like to be able to record videos of me writing on paper or a whiteboard as I explain grammatical concepts. I may need to talk to my DOE about this.

Also, I need to send email reminders to students who are habitual procrastinators.

I am realizing that some of the activiites like the game stlye reinforcement type may be helpful for certain students. I have overlooked these in the past but am realizing that ths could be very helpful for those tht learn in different ways from the majority of my students. Also having an open discussion board where the students could interact without structure could be helpful too.

In order to get students to "buy in" to online leraning during COVID has been a challenge.  I have learned that one needs to  make sure that the students understand that I the teacher am here for them.  I   realize it is different but together we can make the learning a fun and grear exprience. Keep a  discussion board for the students to discuss the assignments and collaborate with one another and chime in when necessary.

Sign In to comment