Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Successful Online Learning Techniques | Origin: EL108

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners --> Successful Online Learning Techniques

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

The seven principles of learning for both instructors and students were a valuable guidline in understanding the roles and responsibilities with learning in an online envionrment. Despite them being written in 1996 I believe these principles can all easily be applied in an online course of instruction.

Keys to learning in an online course: goals respect and 7 principal of learning.

Many times students succumb to the pressure of school, work, and other activities with which they are involved. There are certain skills needed to succeed in the online environment; however, it is essential that students understand pitfalls they should avoid. These pitfalls limit students' success and encourage procrastination.

understanding the 7 principles of learning is crucial in an online learning environment.

The foundation of learning is understanding the 7 principles of learning. This is beneficial to the e-learning student

Students think that taking an online course is easy, however,there is alot of pros and cons.  Students need to understand the proper netiquette of taking an online class.  Students need to have good time management skills and not get distracted by their surroundings becuase it is not a traditional in class surrounding.  Having an understanding of the 7 principles is very important in an online learning setting.  Some students can thrive doing an online class while some students will struggle with the lack of a traditional classroom setting and structure.  

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?

I liked lerning about the seven principles of good practice. It's a great reminder of things that instructors should do. 

I feel that active participation is a big factor in how students can deepen their knowledge when taking onlind courses. It is part of the instructors job to keep encouraging students to be involved and interact with other students and myself. This section also focused on setting up schedules with students so that they do not lose track of the work that has to be done and the time in which it has to be turned on. 

Time management is a skill that online learners must master. Underestimating time for assignments and procrastination can be big factors that cause them to set themselves up for failure.

I learnt the importance of teaching students how to set goals and plan best ways to achieve them, netiquatte, time management, pitfalls to avoid and the seven principles of learning. 

I will help students effectively plan their time, relate what they are learning to their careers and become successful in achieving their life goals.

Preparing Students to Become Good Online Learners --> Successful Online Learning Techniques

It is essential that you develop instructional strategies to create an integral learning envirnment; students need to take resposibility in their learning and understand "student and instructor expectations" to have a successful online class.

The importance of planning and goal setting and the difference between "dream career" and "reality career". Also, I learned the 7 principles of learning. 

While education is a two way street, it is essential to be clear and provide appropriate guidance.  Help as much as possible with time management, giving concrete guidelines as to how to manage time.   Tell students not just the assignments but the expected time for each assignment, by week if possible.  Help with communication as much as possible.

This module focuses on student goals both short term and long term and how they can be related to their current life and future life. It touches on the student characterisitics of online learning and how to properly adjust to them. 

I find that the netiequte of RESPECT is very important to the learning process.

• Respect others' privacy. 
  • Everyone has a voice. 
  • Say what you mean in an honest, constructive format. 
  • Participate in discussions in a courteous way. 
  • Expert knowledge is important. 
  • Comment with control. 
  • Take time to think before communicating.

Netiquette something that should be "taught" in all online learning platforms.  The goal is for students to respect other's opinions and views by posting appropriate messages in discussion boards, blogs or wikis used in the class.  What is appropriate when posting things on the internet.

The key to successful online education is good communication between the instructor and student.  The student should know early how to get in touch with the instructor and all communication should be respectful and professional. 

guidelines from the student’s perspective and the guidelines for a succussful online instructor is what i took away from this module. 

Failure to plan is a plan for failure.  The biggest new take out from this lesson is outlining how the 7 Principles for an Instructor can be swtiched to the students perspective for success.  Set timeline and parameters for students, encourage them to be engaged learned and make them understanding you have high expectations for them because you are helping them work towards their life goals!

Sign In to comment