Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Faculty need to be constantly learning how to better deliver their course materials. We cannot become complacent with how we do things. We need to move away from our comfort zones and get more in touch with how students learn best and utilize tools that they know to help them learn better.

Master your LMS.   Give students a wide array of options to learn.  Help assess their technical skills and give the opportunities to enhance those skills. 

How to use social networking in course

Using social networks can be beneficial to online learning vs social media

Ensuring students have good technical skills or access to gain those skills will help students succeed in an online teaching environment. 

There are many technology tools available, without a doubt.  The key is to ensure that whatever tools are used, they enhance/support the overall goals as well as meeting student needs.  Understanding what tech skills student's actually have is key to being successful.  It's a common belief that all young people know how to use tech.  In my experience, this is not always true. 

It's important to make sure the students are able to use tools in the LMS as well as the social network platform. We can't assume all of the students are able to use these tools and we may need to have an orientation session at the beginning of the course to familiarize all of the students to use these tools effectively.

Incorporating social networking is a good online tool for students and will implement this in my next asynchronous course.

Student centered learning, focusing more on the students not the instructor.  Allowing students to construct knowledge rather than simply receiving it form the teacher.

I liked the idea of using social networking to help the students better learn, interact, and "network" with their peers -- the difference between social networking and social media was also a good observation, with the former being more focused to those with similar interests, and the latter being the broader medium with a wide audience of varying interests and goals.  Although this might seem like a "no brainer" THIS brain didn't think about it until reading this lesson.

The questions provided to ask students regarding technology use were very useful; I'd like to drive an online readiness course for students, as well as faculty, as these questions are applicable to both groups. 

Knowing the proper tools is key to online learning.

The difference between social networks and social media outlets is apparently a fine line. This distinction is a valuable bit of information as one considers what platform to utilize.   

Using communication tools that is appropriate for your classroom.

The online learner first needs a set of technology skills to be successful along with set goals and a plan on how to achieve them.

Synchronous and asynchronous teaching requires a different set online tools: chat vs blog

Learned different methods to achieve synchronous and asynchronous online information, and about LMSs.

Planning out the online course can be a lengthy process. The more consideration used during the initial course planning the more versatile it will become for future use. Any modifications needed can be made more easily and quickly when adjusting for different courses. 

I plan to query the students on the first day of class regarding their experience and level of understanding and application of utilizing online technology such as whiteboards, blogs, wikis, and LMS. 

communication tools are essential

Sign In to comment