Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The biggest takeaways from this section is the need for consistency in the communication with students, the need to establish Netiquette, and understanding that the model for these communications start with us as the instructors. 

This model emphasized the importance of estabilshing netiquette rules early and to establish a pattrn of communication.  The best way for instructors to manage communication in a course is to be involved, consistent, and to model the appropriate behavior as well as delineate the expectations clearly.  The example of appropriate postings and responses and use of a rubric for discussion boards is very relevant.  In my experience, most students won't expand on the conversation in a discussion board beyond, "I agree/disagree", etc. unless the instructor indicates that the student must be more participative, thorough, and reflective in their responses.

It is easy to take communication norms for granted; we just ASSUME that students will communicate in an acceptible manner. BUT acceptible can be a varying concept. It is important to establish those norms for students.

I have learned, it is essential to monitor the discussions especially in an online environment and make sure respect and civility is maintained. All disruptors need to be stopped immediately but can be handled in a constructive manner.

Cheryl

Clearly communicating the rules for correspondence between students / students and faculty is essential. It is also important to know when communicating the different modes of communication being content, process and feedback.  Being civil, compassionate and respectful in communication will foster an enviornment of learning.

I learned about was to be positive using key words and practices that further engage students.

Seth Soronnadi.

Understood that; "A pattern of communication is basically defined as consistent forms of communication used frequently."

Rubrics are a great tool to identifty what is needed to achieve a great score. it shows what is to be included in the work and to answer what ever questin is being asked.

Communicating effectively and using the right tool is key for students. 

I learned about putting netiquette rules in the rubrics and I think that's an excellent idea! I work at a school where the majority of assignments are due Sunday at 11:59 pm and I concur with the idea that this is not a really convenient due date and time for instructors. Over the years I haven't had a great deal of trouble with student conduct regarding netiquette. It was far more common in the early days of online learning. Other than plagiarism, I cannot really think of any recent examples.

Effective communication is a two-way street. The instructor should set the tone for the frequency and context of the communiation. 

The form and manner in which the communication process develops affects the results achieved in the classroom in many different ways. I consider it essential that my students understand the importance of netiquettes as well as the appropriate processes to achieve an environment of respect in the learning community.

Communication with students is very important to me. During the course I communicate with them either directly in class, by email and even by chat if I am at a meet.

Communication is essential in the relation to your students.

Every type ofcommunication with the student must be a effective and open one who provide the best results on every equation. An effective communication must be establish every time. In life there has to be rules and consequences as in every educatiional institution must have a code of conduct and the students must be open to follow thoose rules and to know what is the consequences of avoiding to follow them.

Communication between the student and the teacher must be clear and organized. sThe content is presented with different strategies, then what is expected is explained and there always has to be feedback so that the guidelines are understood. We must always establish to optimize the participation between teacher and students and students and students,
because in pairs they learn better and the objectives set can be explained.

The instructor must be a clever and positive teacher od good manners about the communication skills with the students. So, is that the key for receive 100% of penty succesful.

Este tema es sumamente importante. La comunicación y el respeto tienen que ir de la mano para que el aprendizaje se dé de la forma más efectiva posible. Creo que el estudiante debe entender la importancia de la gramática en estos asuntos.

There are more than one pathways of comunication when we work establishing standards. I2S, S2I, S2S. Protocols for each.

Also the importance of including the protocol in the syllabus or a handbook. Consequences and disciplinary measures should be informed and expressed in a written form where the student confirms receipt. 

It is important to establish good patterns of communication to make the differences between formal an informal qriting, depending on the circumstances.

Sign In to comment