Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom assessment techniques are an important part of being an online teacher. They are best described by:

• *Some material in this report is adapted from:
 Angelo, T.A. and Cross, K.P. (1993). Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers, Second Edition, San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers.
  • This resource is adapted from original content by Lee Haugen, Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, Iowa State University.

"Classroom assessment techniques (CAT) are relatively quick and easy formative evaluation methods that help you check student understanding in “real time”. These formative evaluations provide information that can be used to modify/improve course content, adjust teaching methods, and, ultimately improve student learning. Formative evaluations are most effective when they are done frequently and the information is used to effect immediate adjustments in the day-to-day operations of the course." 

use critical thinking in the clasroom.

After reading the material on cooperative and collaborative learning I have new insights that I will put into place in my on-line class.

Collaborative and cooperative learning are very similar; however, cooperative is more structured to enhance student learning in groups. Critical thinking skills can be augmented in problem-based learning groups too. This type of learning will be relevant to the real world issues that help students think in real-time. 

getting students to use critical thinking will not only benefit their leaning, but will help them succeed in the "real world."

I see how Problem Based Learning can be significant in brining in real world examples into the classroom. It would be relevant and could relate to the student's life more acutely than a printed example from a textbook or a recycled lecture.

Critical thinking and collaboration play such a huge role as a faculty facilitator.  I learned new ways to implement and engage that with students. 

Incorporating problem solving via role playing.

Critical thinking and problem solving go hand in hand create the problem present it to your students have them get together use their heads and see if they can resolve it by running scenarios that may or may not work collaborate together apply the "fix" check it out if it doesn"t work check your steps think about it and you will begin to understand that there is more than one way to resolve an issue have the students use their thought procecesses in collaboration and they will learn without you doing it and the  lesson will stick in their heads  better because you showed the path and they figured it out with just a little guidance 

This module discusses critical thinking and strategies that will enhance the student's learning experience. It presents the challenges of students in accepting knowledge from various sources. Some of the activities applied to 21st-century education are jigsaw activities, peer-self-reflection, creation of test questions, and be the Expert. 

Best practices require the incorporation of collaborative learning, cooperative learning, and problem-solving (PBL) to keep students engage and become thinkers. In my experience with various platforms that students can practice all the practices in a virtual world than in a F2F setting. For example Zoom offers break rooms, virtual laboratory, students can present projects together as well.

I prefer to teach PBL in-person, and hope to transition my online courses this direction this coming semester. I have always enjoyed learning when the information I acquire helps me overcome a challenge.

Critical thinking is a necessary component for students,which for some it is not easy. The instructors must encourage critical thinking with our students and ourselves.

I think setting up a Second Life for online learning is strange. I see the benefits but it also seems to be too much extra work. However criticially thinking from the beginning of the course is so important at the college level. 

Critical thinking skills are crucial to learning. Students often struggle with critical thinking because they may not have been taught how to think critically or encouraged to do so. Providing guidance and opportunities for students to engage in critical thinking is key to successful learning, espeically active learning. The goal is to teach our students how to think rather than what to think. 

Problem-based, cooperative, and collaborative learning are all examples of active learning. When creating activities to engage students, choosing the right strategy to acheive the learning objective is important. These types of learning translate into the real world of home, career, and society in general.

I thought this was an interesting note: Active learning can promote people skills.

Critical thinking is an essential process that allows students to solve complex situations that they may encounter in thier learning process. I have learnt that I should embrace this aspect since it can play a crucial role in boosting my overall learning process. 

Online instructors can motivate students with Problem-based Learning activites. 

This was a very informative segment. I learned that having students use real-time technology in the classroom can motivate students in the class.

I also learned that problem-based learning" is very important in an Online environment. Problem-based learning has the following components:

1. Students solve problems

2. Not necessarily one answer

3. Every learning path is valid

4. Seamless instruction

5. There are learning ideas

6. Assessment needs more than just summative tests.

I learned that it is important to facilitate student’s journey toward critical thinking and problem solving in an active learning online course.

Blending problem based learning with real life situations.  Having students

use their phones to reasearch spur of the moment real life situations

and then reporting on them in class time, was an eye opener at a new

technique. 

Sign In to comment