Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This lesson reiterated the importance of critical thinking skills period wow, critical thinking is Paramount in growing an education too often students feel unprepared for such activities period I want to create a classroom environment in which the students ability to critical think is paramount.

Supporting students in gaining critical thinking skills is crucial to helping them succeed in college. 

Collaborative learning is an educational method in which students work together to explore a significant question, solve a problem, complete a task or create a product. Collaborative learning may occur peer-to-peer (pairs) or small groups. Collaborative learning can be as simple as a think-pair-share in which students discuss a lecture to determine the key points/facts to students creating an APPS to solve a real-world problem. Collaborative activities include activities such as case studies, simulations, role-playing or games that can really help broaden students’ minds and dispel myths, or bring better understanding to their previously held thoughts and ideas. Through collaboration, long-held beliefs and ideas can be shared, scrutinized, accepted or discarded.

Collaborative learning in online education involves students working together to explore questions, solve problems, or create products, fostering critical thinking by considering multiple perspectives. Cooperative learning, a subset of collaborative learning, emphasizes structured group work with clear objectives and individual accountability. Online instructors can use various technology tools to create virtual environments for real-time collaboration, encouraging both planned and spontaneous interactions, ultimately aiming to foster critical thinking and higher-order learning as students mature through the course.

Critical thinking may not be common sense

Student engagement is absolutely critical to the success of the student, however, every class has a know-it-all or "Class Clown" whose purpose is to upstage the instructor and gain the acceptance of peers as the recognized leader above and beyond the subject matter expert.

Being a teacher is a noble profession, however, strategies must be inclusive as to disrupting the disruptor without costing the teacher credibility.

I have learned about the importance and need for critical thinking in my classroom. Students do not need to just memorize facts and complete assignments. Students need to learn how to critically think through each problem and exercise. Theses skills will help them be successful in their lives and careers. 

This module was a effective introduction to some of the theory and methods for encouraging critical thinking in students. I appreciated the specific suggestions for the use of group based work, collaborative/cooperative learning, and problem based learning. The suggestions in these sections provide concrete mechanisms for building critical thinking into a course. Based on these suggestions I have already begun to construct critical thinking exercises for my course.  

I look forward to continuing to learn more about how I can implement these practices into my own classroom.

Critical thinking and problem solving are great tools in student education.

I learned the different strategies to encourage critical thinking. I will be using the strategy of asking students to justify and explain their positions. 

I am very interested in the Problem Based Learning model. I studied it as an undergrad and found it to be a truly unique way of making coursework personally relevant and much more engaging for students. I will definitely be exploring the model more in my classes moving forward. 

I had not used PBL in my film making courses but actually this course opened up the possibilities of how it could be an effective active learning technique.

Critical thinking is important because it helps students to build up strategies to approach different situations in multiple ways. 

Critical thinking ask questions, encourage descision making, work in groups, connect different ideas, inspire creativity, and brainstorm. 

Active learning enhance critical thinking by engaging students in activities that require analysis, synthesis and evaluation of information. It also foster collaboration, allowing students to exchange ideas and perspectives.

I feel as an instructor allowing students to utilize the vast real-time technology resources available to them can motivate them in a playful fashion to quickly find resources to present to the class in real time.

Critical thinking skills need to be developed in the classroom using group/collaborative assignments.

Critical thinking involves applying knowledge and experiences to look deeper into information. Critical thinking can be enhanced with problem-based learning since students will work to solve the problem presented, 

Collaborative assignments are a great way to build classroom culture and promote student engagement. Oftentimes, students are more comfortable working with peers in shared activities and gain much from each other.

Sign In to comment