Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using problem based learning as a motivator was a new concept for me. I enjoyed learning about PBL

I think giving students problem-based questions is good practice for the Carrer they want- Animal Medicine. Veterinary Assistant, and beyond.

"Online instructors should think about their role as a facilitator in active learning, and assist student in their progress towards being a critical thinker by giving guidelines, encouraging communication amongst students, and also by bringing different perspectives to class." This quote from the text gives an insight, after being an on-line student, and not teaching on-line it makes since why student engagement is so important.

Critical thinking is a skill that is becoming less and less utilized both in and out of the classroom. Helping students get used to critical thinking so it can become more common for them is a great idea. 

Problem based learning is one of the best ways to get students to drive their own learning and experience. They can work independently and in groups.  Ideas where we take real life situations and delve deeper into how a solution can be formed.  One can draw from their own experiences and use critical thinking to create solutions. Instructors can lead students into various ways to help students like; managing projects and holding leadership roles like you would do in a career. Self-directed learning to solve problems, application and analysis of course content can further one's experience in the class. 

PBL is student centered.  Instructors facilitate an activity and students are more apt to solve and complete these assignments. 

I learned to try to implent collaborative learning or group based activities every so often can be beneficial.

Critical thinking skills are very important for students to have when they get into college settings and later in the real world settings when they will have a job. I think the examples of giving students collaborative learning assignments but using real world examples for them to research using technology and present in class is a way to make them think critically and also is a good way for them to share with each other.

There is real value to group projects both in the process and the outcome. PBL is an excellent method for collaboration.

Good critical thinking skills are needed to take part in problem solving activities.

As instructors, we need to teach our students to become critical thinkers. We can promote critical thinking skills by asking open-ended questions, having students reflect on the topic, justify their position, find relationships between concepts, create test questions, participate in collaborate and cooperative learning and problem-based learning. 

Critical thinking is the key component when seeking employment. Utilizing group discussions and collaborative involvement will help individuals bring that out.

Sign In to comment