Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this module I learned different methods to measure critical thinking skills by using best practices including Cooperative learning and Problem-Solving Learning.  The importance of group activity and self-reflection for students can increase their self-esteem and create a community of learners who can collectively increase their critical thinking skills.   I like how the Problem Based Learning can be used to solve any problem that exists in the real world and having the students find solutions by using resources and prior knowledge, this enhances their ability to resolve issues and increases their critical thinking.   

I am a proponent of the PBL approach and actually use that in my classrooms.

Critical thinking plays a huge impact in learning and applying. 

The statement by Mr. Bernie Dodge “thinking required while attending a lecture is low level comprehension that goes from the ear to the writing hand and then leaves the mind untouched.” was a very reflective saying. It makes you wonder how much a student is actually learning from lectures?

I really liked the idea of using jigsaw activities, in which students bring their own pieces of knowledge together with their classmates' to solve a question or problem. I can see multiple scenarios in which I might use this type of activity, and this could be both motivating and beneficial to the students. For example, students could contribute multiple sources to a group forum for a research activity, and then they could evaluate classmates' sources and choose from among them for sources to use in a research essay. Everyone would be equally invested in finding, evaluating, and using the sources.

using critical learning and how to post it is important to problem solving.

Critical thinking doesn't come easy to students and it is our job as instructors/educators to help them develop this skill for their future endeavors as many businesses are looking for "professionals who can think, reflect and solve pertinent problems in the workplace".

Each student has his/her own way to critically think. Online learning enables students to utilize his/her own way to critically think in a way that not only showcases his/her own knowledge, but invites other learners in, in a way that also offers a collaborative approach.

PBL is an excellent technique to stimulate critical thinking in students and is part of dynamic engagement.  Make student think an problem solving is stimulating just as full of pleasure as playing chess. 

Instructors can encourage students with active learning activities to practice and grow their critical thinking skills. 

good

Connecting course material to real life and encouraging students to use smartphones to research and bring examples to the classroom will engage students and make learning more active and fun. I also think it will make it more memorable.

This active learning technique exercises students' inductive reasoning skills and promotes active engagement and inquisitiveness. Use critical thinking vocabulary when posing questions to students to reinforce conceptual understanding and promote recognition of reasoning.

In today's learning environment, the instructor has become the facilitator of the classroom. Through critical thinking, collaborative learning, and problem-based learning; students are becoming more dedicated learners. There are many more ways for students to gain an understanding of the information. All types of learners are now able to do well in the learning environment.

Kasey McCusker

Trying to solve a problem is important for critial thinking, which is incorporated into my class

I feel critical thinking is a skill that we must possess to be successful. Unfortunately, this is a skill that many students are deficient in!! We can help them build this skill through active learning!

How to encourage and promote critical thinking. Instructors can also model critical thinking, and provide opportunities for students to use this skill in their every day life.

Critical thinking activities should include complicated topics with many perspectives and issues. Students can bring their own personal experiences with these topics, they can reflect upon various perspectives, and can relate these ideas to their peers. This is improtant for writing courses so that students can reflect and prepare their ideas before writing a formal paper. 

Critical thinking skills are difficult for students who are used to the "sit and get" method of teaching.  Having students work together or by themselves on tasks and projects give students more opportunities to think critically and use their knowledge in new ways.  I have give my students models to analysis in small groups and provided some guiding questions to help them better understand the concepts being learned,  Students much discuss their findings and understandings before they move on to the next model or question.  This gives them practice with analyzing and thinking about their results and ideas in a safe space with a handful of peers.

Employers want to hire employees who can solve problems and think critically.

Sign In to comment