Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

As instructors, we need to be intentional about creating tasks that increase student responsibility and ownership to their work. This can be done through problem-based learning, as well as opening avenues for feedback from students.

I agree feedback is very important, especially when not face-to-face. In a traditional classroom, you can guage understanding sometimes even from facial expression. Online, it's important to answer questions and clarity promptly and give quick, effective feedback before a student becomes lost or frustrated.

Communicating in a timely manner is one of the most important aspects of feedback. Feedback and engagement needs to be more than just learning for the learning process.

This section has given me much to think about and consider in creating an online learning environment.  There are multiple roles that I, as an instructor, must assume in order to facilitate and support student learning.

This section has given me much to think about and consider in creating an online learning environment.  There are multiple roles that I, as an instructor, must assume in order to facilitate and support student learning.

It is worth noting that students can sometimes learn better from other students. The instructor can therefore play the role of an effective facilitator to forther enhance effective student learning

I learned to... first: be clear about which teacher/student role I will use in order to be most effective in teaching my specific class; second: be very clear in all communications because there is a lack of ability to read body language online; third: be clear in the syllabus about engagement expectations—keep students engaged... this is the key to success, especially when teaching an online class.

Looking forward to applying techniques/tips to increase online participation from learners.

I think it is all about communication and the way it is delivered to the student.  If you have clear expectations, reliable feedback and different way to ecnourage participation, your online class will be effective.

Clear and defined communication of and within the course are essential as facilitator. 

In the past, I have served as a facilitator and enjoy this role of guiding students, but having them explore on their own. 

As the instructor I have many roles. Being prepared in all aspects is the key to success.

Utilizing a holistic approach to determine course effectiveness is key.  Not only should outcomes/assessments/scores be reviewed, but student evaluations of instructor and course provide great feedback. Peer evaluations also give a fresh set of eyes when reviewing effectiveness of a course.

As an online instructor effective communication is important; make sure that your message convey is the intended message. Effective and constant feedback is essential keeping the student learner on task.

Submitted by: Marilyn Renfroe

I need to learn how to promote more S2S student to student engagement to oversee adn overcome challenges in engaging students online. We need to avoid danger of misintrepration adn dealing with silence just to name a few

It is important for the instructor to facilitate learning as a "guide on the side." The students should be doing the learning through project/problem-based learning and discussions. 

Creating a social environment for a team-based class is my biggest concern. Not sure what the best way to foster the bonds that make teams really work would be.

When you design your course plan or how youre going to facilitate your course it is important to consider what is effective for student learning. That will drive the facilitation methods. It is important to center the course around the learner. This includes truly evaluating the learner's experience to better assess and enhance the features of the course for the next time.

Learning that different types of teaching styles are effective. Communication is the key and it takes out the misunderstanding.

Close monitoring of the discussion board is essential as is to include personal feedback.  Setting the expectations for communications should occur first with the dynamic syllabus.  

Sign In to comment