Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Consistency is key when developing an online course. Having a consistent way in which a course is structured helps students know what to expect and where to consistently find things. 

I plan on using both synchronous and asynchronous techniques. I feel that they both have a place in the online learning environment. For example, I belive that course lecture should be synchronous giving the learner the opportunity to ask questions in real-time. Having questions answered in real-time, especially if the content is very technical, can alleviate the learners anxiety. However, answering posted questions, in my opinion, should be offered in an asynchronous mode. Also, I feel that learners must submit their answeres before being allowed to see the postings of other learners.

I have and do both asynch and synch online instruction. Most prefer asynch simply due to scheduling and flexibility. If/when synch is used, it needs to be rewarded to incent students to utilize it. If there is no reward, the attendance suffers.

Setting up discussion post not only allows communication between students. It also allows the students to ask quesitons.

I have learned it is important to know which method of online learning will help the student learn best. Also that having a clear communication is very important.

This module addressed the differences between Asynchronous and Synchronous teaching including the advantages and disadvantages of each method.  If both of these methods are done correctly and good communication is established with the students, then it can be effective.  This requires good time management and organizational skills on behalf of the instructor and students.

Moodle and Zoom pretty much cover all the differnt technologies and types covered.

Communicate clearly and ensure communication is proficient.

Both synchronous and asynchronous courses have advantages and disadvantages. Both require an effective pattern of teaching.

II have learned that a main component of teaching and learning is communicating with the students.

The use of discusson boards is a helpful tool in creating an asynchronous learning enviroment.  I participated in online learning and feel like this was an excellent way to have a group discussion, at everyones pace. 

At the University of Phoenix, we were an asynchronous classroom where adult learners could learn at their own pace in their own time zones without borders.  Some classes were also offered synchronously at Phoenix so that course directors could evaluate the effectiveness and progress each of us were making towards completion of our MSN and EDD degrees.  I don't think one or the other is the answer, both work to meet the needs of all learner types.  The more independant learner can thrive in the completely synchronous environment.

Dr. Miller

The main lesson here was the difference between synchronous and asynchronous teaching through an online platform. There are many benefits to both styles but it is important to utilize, understand and know the difference between the two, this will help with your own method of teaching as well. Second lesson was that communication is key especially for online teaching.

Synchronous learning to me is really exemplified by a discussion board or schedule chat. Students are working together in real time. Asynchronous learning is necessary for an online learning environment. Students must be able to strike out on their own at their own pace to manage all the content.

Clear communication and organization of the course is a key for succesfull outcome

Unless the course is conducted in a synchronous method, communication is essential for student success. In an asynchronous environment, students take on the responsibility of their learning since it isn't happening in real time. The instructor must find and utilize forms of technology to help aid in their learning process. 

The importance for the student and instructor to understand each component of the course. Students must know how to use the technology and how to submit assignments. 

The use of asynchronous or synchronous methodology requires deep reflection on the part of the educator.

Communication is key to teaching. Students learn based off being taught properly.

I personally like sychronous, but I definitely see the advantages of asynchronous. I think as we continue to work with advancing technology the digital space will integrate more and more into the classroom and appeal to a variety of learning styles.

Sign In to comment