Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Asynchronous discussion forums allow all students to participate. It allows them time to think about their responses and it allows them to more easily follow the discussion.  Synchronus discussions can go to rapidly for student to process and participate fully regarding the topic.

I've learned that it's important to maintain a communication with the students that inflects positive emotion with emoji's & well placed humor.

We have been giving lectures by Zoom. Apparently, this is not ideal. I much better liek the idea of having a recorded lecture, then having a group discussion of the lecture in another time, potentially in smaller groups.

Rubrics are important for the discussion thread so everyone has clear expectations of what is expected. 

As an e- learning instructor I need to identify the students’ learning styles focusing on the ones that would need more encouragement to succeed in the e-learning environment such as: the avoidant, the competitive and the dependent styles. Knowing this I need to follow the general guidelines on how to meet the challenge of encouraging online participation.

Participation on a asynchronous discussions will be used when delivering very important course content or for whole group activities in order to promote interaction among learners. Participation on synchronous discussions will be used for individual or small group meetings.

It is important to provide  in advance information required for the chat session, keep the number of students in a goup to a small  number, restrict the time for the discussion, be in control of the session. It is also important to monitor all discussion questions

It is important to provide  in advance information required for the chat session, keep the number of students in a goup to a small  number, restrict the time for the discussion, be in control of the session. It is also important to monitor all discussion questions

One of the primary ways to engage students in an online learning environment is to keep the discussion board active and engaging. Showing students that we are active and participating in these discussions will help them become more engaged in conversations. 

I have learned it is important to continuously check on students to make sure they understand the content, what is required of them, and how things are going (good/bad).  It is important as the instructor to make sure feedback given is encourages participation, confidence, and motivation.

Discussion boards are a great tool to use in online learning as it gives students the ability to learn from other classmates while establishing a relationship similar to face to face classes.

Online instructors can provide feedback to a student through an email. The email should be worded to promote participation and motivation. 

The information provided on Fosterin Participation in Asynchronous and Synchronous Discussions will be very helpful as I move forward in teaching online classes.  

Learning the difference between asynchronous and synchronous discussions was very helpful.  I self-reflected that I included small talk in my phone call conversations with students because it seemed like the appropriate thing to do.  It was nice to learn that this is recommended suggestion. 

synchronous and asynchronous discussions are very important learning tools

What have you learned from this module?

I learned that it is more likely that students will interact in class discussions if they are likely to get rewarded. You should identify the students that do not participate. Create a less intimidating learning environment by assigning small group activities. Instructors should make sure that the comments are related to the course content. It is also important to keep sentences short and to the point. 

How do you intend to apply it? 

I plan on applying these techniques by assigning students in small group activities and identifying the shy students that do not participate. I will also reward students that do participate. 

Instructors should prepare students for class participation by providing netiquette rules. The recommendations to create chat sessions with small groups (5-6 students), time limit (30 minutes maximum), and prepare students with information and schedule well in advance set the stage for a successful chat.

There are so many options for online learning.  A good balance is important and allows all learners opportunity to achieve.

Asynchronous discussions can be an effective way to bring more students to pariticate. Keeping the discussion focused and enticing as well as providing feedback is a good way to do this. 

I learner more than I even knew before very interesting and plan on adding a lot of suggested material.

It is better to use asynchronous discussions for core course content.  It allows for better participation.

Sign In to comment