Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

One of the questions they posed, "Can students gain access to all of the content from Day One?" Interested to know thoughts on this. In my online course I taught in an ADN program I only opened a until (so 3-4 weeks) at a time but in my own MSN and DNP programs, I appreciated having access to the entire course so I could work ahead. I am not sure beginning students do as well with the entire course open as they are still learning to manage their time and expectations for the level of rigor in nursing courses. They do have access to due dates for the entire course. Interested in your thoughts or maybe this is determined by individual organizations or programs. 

I found it interesting all of the different techniques that can be used online to engage students. 

I have not taught online course before, this is a good basic content of how to do this.  INteresting.  

I learn to slow down and listen more. Make a list of key topics to go over first, and pay attention to my tone and body language.

A good primer for beginning online instructors.

I always have a Live meeting before the course starts to cover the structure of the course and what is contained in each module. I response to every post on the Discussion board. I address each and everones technical problems and if I can't then I refer them to the experts.

It is extremely important that a student feels comfortable in the learning environment. The student should not be worried about the technical aspects of the content delivery. When the instructor is knowledgeable about the course and the subject matter, the instructor can help the student feel at ease so the primary focus can be placed on learning.

Some students do not like to ask technical questions in an online learning class out of fear of seeming "dumb." It is important to make sure students know how to navigate the CMS. 

This is a concise overview of the steps to improve communication. It covers face to face, telephone, and written skills.

As instructors we must have aproper understanding of the course and its objecrives and help the student achieve these.

It is important that students understand how to navigate the CMS and I am there to help then navigate and understand the requirements of the course. 

As an online instructor, it is imperative that I have a good working knowledge of the Course Management System from both the instructor and student perspective to support my students. Prior to teaching, I will ensure that I become familiar with Canvas so I can best support my students.

To facilitate  successful online course, I will make sure to learn the course management system and the funtions for faculty and student. I will also make sure that I am aware of the course structure along with the syllabus to be able to orient my students to the CMS. 

All of these teaching techniques are similar to what has been provided during my orientation process. Specifically the importance of ensuring that we as instructors make sure we have a good understanding of the content as well as the CMS/LMS we will be providng support on. 

I intend to use the material used in this course to make sure I become a resource for the students. 

Organization is the most important goal from the begining.

From this module I have become familiar with the essential components to an online course which will allow me to deliver instruction in a way that will reach all students. 

Enjoyed the reinforcement of how important body language is along with voice tone, and was taken aback at the small percentage of the importance of words in certain situations.

Clear communication is the to the students understanding. The instructor's knowledge of the online education platform is going to ehance the student's needs learning experience and success.  

You need to fully understand the online component to be able to effectively communicate. 

We need a course on the LMS - not sure if that is done at my universtiy. 

Sign In to comment