Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I feel more confident on when and where to draw the line in classroom behavior

learned about how to work with silent students was very useful , i will use the workgroup  strategy, and making the hard call was very interesting specially  on how to procede with consultation and documentation .

It is nice to learn the different ways to handle students that are not the role model type and teach them how to change to become just that.

Setting expectations and having conversations with studnets on what they are lacking, such as their behavior, how they are treating others, etc

to have a disruptive student in classroom can be quite a big issue, so the best way we can approch situation is carefuly and not make it worse. Teach smart  andteach with  golden rule dont make it worse! Seek help if needed.

I appreciate the view on fitting in.  Providing an inclusive environment for all students will support the learning environment.  In addition, it is improtant to reduce opportunities for students to cheat.  Promoting an inclusive environment while protectingthe environment is a great review of ideal learning. 

A good way to communicate with an angry student is to employ an effective customer service technique: actively listen, and allow them to vent without interruption. When the student sighs, i.e. demonstrates that he/she cannot think of anything else to say, and is ending the tirade, then empathize with the student by saying something like, "If that happened to me, I would feel the same way! Let's see if we can come to a solution." This will let the student know that you are willing to help, rather than to engage in conflict. This should help the student be more apt to listen and collaborate on fixing the problem, with the help of the instuctor.

Reply to David Wilson's post:That is a tricky situation because it seems like one is doing all the work, or they are collaborating on assignments and exams. If each was given a different exam or project, it may discourage the one-doing-all-the-work scenario by forcing the one to take two separate exams or projects. Hopefully, this will discourage the one doing it for the other, considering the amount of time and effort needed to take another different exam or project. Hopefully, you can force each of them to do his/her own work.

Monitoring students from back of room is something I will implement. I usually walk around to make sure they are not cheating. 

I learned from this module that most students will cheat if given the opportunity. I will take way the knowledge of spacing out students, observing from one place, determining what is eye rolling while thinking.

Fairness and consistency are the keys. Always listen then react.

I find a lot of the times when students are frustrated in class, stems from having a bad day outside of the school, whether it be something they are dealing with at their home or job. They may be tired or uncomfortable from coming to school after working outside on a hot day. I find that they are usually very short fused and distracted. They usually cannot focus on their work. I will break down the class and get them working in groups and they tend change their behavior and joke and enjoy working with the classmates within circle and see refocus on the work. after class I sometime get them to vent their issues and whenever possible I put a positive spin on their situation or offer my advice on how to overcome it and they don't come to class upset next day after.

You should always listen to an angry student.  Sometimes they just need to vent about something.  If the student is disrupting the class, you will need to itervene so that they do not keep other students in the class from learning.

Cheating does not pay off end the end. When getting a job you will have to perform these duties. I have been in education for 7 years many courses for classroom managment and I always see conflicting information about test taking and moving about the room. As I proctor exams I will stand behind everyone to see the movement but I stay still.

We are a class , we are one. Everyone has a story to tell. On occassions i bring breakfast or lunch we sit , decompress , change the enviroment . Make it a safe zone , most of the time its something they can work through. But its also good to tell your DOE and instructors so we all have each others safty in mind. 

I learned that the student will show you through body language that something is wrong with him or her. Managing the students in the class in of great importance because if you have one or more disrupting class the others will not be doing as well as can be.

Cheating or the perception of cheating can be damaging to the student so it should be handled in on an individual basis. When more than one student is involved - have one-on-one conversations with them is key. Without accusations examples like use of the exact verbage on wrong answers whtich they both got wrong, making the situation visable and not verble. Student are more willing to acknowledge the offence. 

Reply to Margarita Sanchez's post:Treating student who disrespect the class does require you to raise a firm voice not necessarily a raised voice. Student should be made aware of offences only if they have been informed of what the classroom rules are first. This can be a challenge for students in class vs. students who are on zoom. Each situation is handled differently but the expectation must always be the same. 

Always allow students to explain their frustration before being confrontational. 

This series of learning was very helpful for me. I have a better unsderstanding on what needs to be done when encountered with difficult students. In addition, I find the wording in these strategies very usefull. When I have discussions with my "hard to get to " students, I will definitaley use some of the verbage that was used in this lesson.

Sign In to comment