Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that there is nuance in dealing with students and my behavior and my perception of their behavior should be well-contemplated

This course has been informative on how to engage students of different personalities and home situations. 

I like to include all students if possible in our discussions.  Some students have strong personalities who love to be the center of attention while others are timid to speak.  Getting everyone engaged, gives the timid students a chance to be heard.

Through "Dealing with Challenging Students" module, I learned that there are different reasons why a student may be challenging.  The module gave examples of how to approach these different kinds of students.  I will try to apply these methods in class, and will try to remember that every student is different, so I may have to try multiple methods.

I have seen these different types of students, The ones that bother me are the ones who are distracted by cell phones, etc. I find it difficult to compete with TikTok for their attention. Walking and standing near them does help, but I have found myself having to ban the use of their devices during lectures. The rest of the behaviors I have not had difficulty dealing with.

interesting...

I like the idea of writing a minute paper at the end of class summarizing the days content.I feel it will engage those students who have not paid attention to the days lesson.

You are not going to change the behavior of center-stage students, you can only control it. 

This course really assisted me in learning how to deal with the different personalities of the students.  How I speak to them will also determine how the interact. I do like the idea of assigning the center stage student as an observer and note taker.

Basically some people will alwasy try to be the Alpha Male or Alpha Female and attempt to run the show. Don't let them. It may take a sidebar. Eventually they could become a great aid in the Lab. Don't let them steer the conversation. Some of them have an attitude where they think because they are paying to come they get to run the show. You have to quickly quell that and explain to the class that they are paying for a specific content, they do not get to decide what it is, how it runs or the results. They are they to learn the content we are providing for that particular trade.   

Dealing with late assignments from students can be handled by giving more heads up on important due dates and reminding students they will be hired on their ability to perform or produce a product, so being late will not fulfill this outcome. 

Strategies for helping the more shy students become more active in class were things like group projects, asking questions for them to answer, asking them how you can make the subject matter more interesting to them, etc.

It is very important to be observant with students. Everyone needs to be managed but most will require different strategies. Really good tips for dealing with challenging students for me as a new instructor. Younger students right out of highschool may need some guidance to adjust out of high school mentality and be more attentive. 

Great ideas to keep order in class.

these are great strategies for dealing with defferent types of students. I really like the "use it wisely cards" this ensures all students are given the opportunity to speak during class. I think it also encourges quieter students to speak up.

This topic helps to keep students engaged but also sets standard for various student behaviors in classroom.

This module helped to identify various student behaviors and ways to manage them. It also hinted at student engagement.I plan to use this when teaching adult learners. 

This information is very useful in how to deal with center-stage students, keep them engaged, while allowing opportunity for the rest of the class to participate.

I have seen inattentive student in both the school setting and the workplace setting as professionals. This discussion helps identify to pull them in a collaborative work assignment.

it may be benefical to meet with inattentive students during office hours to ensure optimal outcomes

Sign In to comment