Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students need to be held accountable for thier behavior in the classroom.

We often spend more time talking about how to deal with the students who are disengaged and behavior problems. It was nice to hear some strategies for how to effectively teach students who are very bright and engaged but may be taking opportunities away from other students by hoarding the spotlight.

Amazing and very well-informed module. I like to keep everyone engaged.

For my inattentive students, I walk towards them in a class setting. If the behavior is repeated the next day or within the same class period, I have a private conversation with the student. Usually, the answer is they are bored. So, the first thing I do is some self-reflection to see if I need to change my delivery method or make the content clearer for understanding.

I like the idea of making a "talkative student" an observer. I am going to try this method in my class.

In this lesson I learned that there are different types of students, and sometimes the role of the students in the class will change as time goes on. It is my role as the instructor to identify the problems as they arise and ty to divert it into something positive so that everyone has a fair opportunity to learn.

Learning different student's personalities will be challenging as a new instructor.

I loved the Use it wisely idea this keeps the Center Stage student from being embarrased while encouraging the quieter students to share their input.

"Inattentive" students or students that want to be the "center" of attention can make it difficult for the rest of the class. I make sure that the students know the consequences of their actions. I purposely ask questions to students that are quiet and make sure to include all students in the discussions. I am always giving real life examples of why this topic is relevant. i try to make each student own responsibilities for their actions. I think the trick with challenging students is to have control of the class by setting limits and then reinforcing them.  

This was a fantastic section! The greatest obstacle I've face in teaching is dealing with a diverse set of student behavior. It seems when I have good students they're fantastic, and my troubled students are very demanding in my approach to dealing with their negative behaviors. The apple polisher and center stage student strategies are going to be invaluable for me as I continue to teach.

It is important to be able to indentify why students are not performing well in the course, and this can be for a variety of reasons. Students need to have their ways of learning met, this means that there needs to be a variety of how the course content is presented 

Dealing with challenging students:

There are many different types of challenging students, & each type takes a somewhat different approach, or method. I have experienced some of these types of students & some I have not.

I did learn that you can deal with challenging students with instrumental controls, & or with Normative controls.  Normative controls being the better way to do this.

Here is my take away on how to maybe handle them in a better way.

Un prepared students:

• Be sure to make expectations clear.
  • Use class quizzes… ???
  • Follow up on assignments. (This is being done as on line in Canvas).

Ready to quit students:

• Give encouragement
  • Recognize the signs, & external pressures.
  • Bring in a guest speaker, such as a past successful student in industry.

Apple Polishing Students:

• Be sure to address them & all students fairly, & the same.
  • Look for these types of students, identify as they complement & then request.
  • Don’t be taken in.
  • Enforce standards with them & all students fairly.

Blaming others students:

• Help them own up to their own responsibilities.
  • Create a class calendar ( will have due dates in Canvas).
  • Will not accept late assignments, as Canvas shows them what is coming up & when they can do it ahead of time, planned.
  • Plainly observe students & discuss with them.

Great reminders about remebering that every student is different and they also have different seasons in their life and so it is just important to check in on what they need at a gven time.  Also, if you had a student before they might have differents needs this term.

I loved the "card" option and using it wisely.  

I have all these students they discribed, and is very frustrating at times.  I like the colored card concept and going to try it!

This section was very helpful.  It has great tips on how to engage students that may be bored in class or maybe they are concetrating on other things rather than the lecture.  Great idea on group activities to engage students and more importantly, communication from both the instructor and student is key to success!

student behavior needs to be addressed and they need to be held responsible for their work. Being able to understand them and relate to them is important as well

Reviewing the over talkative one in class and offering an observer role. I also learned that those that usually sit in the back are distracted have those students sit in the front to remain engaged. 

Jackie

i learned certain behavior stem from something else and direct action needs to take place for behavior modification. 

This is definitely a fear of mine as a new instructor. How do I handle challenging students? Will I be able to be stern enough yet flexible and compassionate at the same time for them? I am thankful this module took some time out to discuss interventions that can be used based on the student's personality/problem. 

Treat all students equally.

Sign In to comment