Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I find it is useful to have the center stage students be observers.  In doing this new role, they are limited with talking and play a role of listening.

Placing yurself in an area where inattentive students are shifts their focus to you and the material that you are teaching. 

Every class I've had so far I have always had a center stage student , I have found that if I ask them alot of questions they usually don't know the answer and I will tell them they need to listen more and that usually gets them to chill out some.

Center-stage students can be controlled through "use it widely" cards to decrease the amount of time they use in class. 

All ambiguous behavior is interpreted as bad. 

Students who are inattentive in class are generally those students who:

Are confused about the course requirements.

Are bored with your lectures.

Lack an understanding of the relevancy of the content.

Give a center of stage student a position like “the observer”

i like the idea of how to manage te diferant types of students to help keep the class engaged.

I always have center stage students in the kitchen each semester. They always believe they know everything, and tend to be loud and want to be center stage to the other students. Great resourses to hopefully control the chatter from these students. I especially liked the colored cards idea and plan to use it.

I lovethe last two ideas, 1) use it wisely cards and 2) observer student.  Each idea can be useful and keep the over involved student in check but also engaged to keep the lesson going in a positive direction and let other quieter students open up and become mpore involved. Both seem to be excellent ideas for classroom management and use.

Very informative on dealing with different personalities and how to deal with problematic ones.

I've learned different strategies to keep students engaged and nondisruptive in class. 

Movement can be an easy way to place myself near the inattentive student to regain their attention, distractions and observe if they're bored with the lecture or if they're simply not understanding the content. It can be an easy and non embarressing way to address a student's behavior. 

Great strategies to deal with various, potentially challenging, personality types.

Being observant from day 1 is helpful to determine who may need encouragement, who needs to be reigned in and who might be manipulative.  Realizing these things early allows intervention that can help the students all progress and keep the class moving forward.

I must say the one video about ambiguous behavior speaks volumes. How many days have we ruined and not have even been aware of doing so? 

Good play on the disruptive student. As a new instructor, I've found them to be 50/50 when it comes to valuable contributers. Usually their peers usually do a great job of providing feedback on their own about it. As far as the couple of times I've observed any kind of major unacceptable outburst, I have let it play out to an extent, and then expressed my position on the input they were giving at that time; and at that point I didn't have to remind them that our conduct greatly defines our character to those around us. And so as they experienced that awkward embarrassment, I downplayed any lash that they might have felt, reassured them that it's all good and we are all going through different things in life. After that I am sure to include them more, but make sure they understand that I attend to everyone else in class with as much priority as them.

I have two students that likes to be Center Stage. I plan to use the suggestion of using  as an observer at intervals during theory class and class discussions. The suggestion is a GReat idea and will help me in future class lectures.

There are multiple ways to help challenging students within the classroom envirnments. Some you can play up to help the student themselves as well as the class as a whole and others you will need to take a more direct approach and set boundaries. All have good and bad attributtes and you shoud not just but assist and insit when needed. They will not only learn to handle themselves better but also improve you as a teacher for future classes. 

This module thought me how to better interact with different types of students.

Sometimes,letting students know that some of the info they will recieve ir outdated, yet they are responsibble for it any,  Explaining that it may be founadtional to later information helps too.

I had a center stage student this semester in an 8 am class. I did enjoy having them in the class and often their energy helped perk up the other students which was helpful. I do think incorporating the observer idea would have helped keep some of his energy in check but would also have channeled it into a useful feature of the class itself.

Information on how to control and manage difficult or out spoken students in the class including information and strategies to control the class.

Sign In to comment