Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I really enjoyed this module. Some activities mentioned I've already implemented because it is a lot of trial and error. One thing I did take away is giving my students more supportive responses. I was more of a yes/no and then explain why, I will be correcting this. 

Student specially adult students motivation depends on their feelings about the course. They need to feel secure and enjoy highest level of autonomy in the learning process.  As an instructor we have to provide them this security and autonomy for a good outcome.

Shah Rahman

Autonomy to an adult learner is about how much control they have over their learning. It's a matter of getting them to be more independent to help them succeed. 

the ability to do what the instructor expects of them

I will strive to help my students feel confident in their abilities to learn and master the content, applied knowledge and hands on skills.

recognize students desire for independence and offer choices, approach lessons with hands on experiences vs just lecturing and listening

Following this course, I will incorporate some active learning strategies in my class to get more student engagement out of my adult students.  I will also utilize dropping the lowest quiz score.

Motivating students is a something that was normally thought of as a grade school exercise.  Now, instructors need to find ways to motyivate college students.  

Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation

Adult learners are more motivated due to a variety of reasons.

Give students a defined syllabus of what they are learning for that lecture, and help students with security by being supportive.

Adults need a safe space to learn with directly impacts motivation and participation. If the classroom environment welcomes and supports students, they are more likely to be motivated. 

Allow students to make a choice to help them feel in control of their learning. 

Being on time and well prepared for class will enhance student security. Also empowering the students to have a choice in what they are learning and in what order just may improve autonomy.

Adult students require autonomy in order to be motivated. Giving students choices will help enhance this.

Allow the student to begin the conversation by asking "How do you feel you are performing?" This will allow you insight to their perception and then you can either provide correction accordingly or agree with and reiterate what they say.

I been learned that security and autonomy are important influence in the motivation os adults students. The sense of autonomy could be enhance by selecting assignments and sense of security include doing groups of pairs in order to answer questions and being supportive and positive during student participation in class activities.

Giving the adult students some choices regarding assignments gives them a sense of autonomy. 

Showing compassion, allowing students the opportunity to error yet educate correctly 

I've learned that students will be more motivated if they have autonomy in the learning process.

Sign In to comment