Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Give positive feedback during class discussions.  This allows the student to feel confident that he/she is succeeding in the class.  

The goal of any instructor is to motivate the student to stay focused.   All the while, feeling secured that what they are learning is being processed, thereby, increasing their motivation to stay the course, so to speak. 

Encouraging question and answer sessions to promote discussions to encourage full class participation can facilitate a sense of security.

Giving students the recognition that we are all adults, permission must be sought and given in the course of our assembly interactions.

This lesson gave a better understanding of how to motivate adult students and how to identify weather a adult student is motivated or not.

Speak clear and explain along with being supportive and giving amply time for a response.

Comment on Janelle Martinez's post:

Hi Janell Motivation can be lead by instructors by having a friendly and academic environment

Regards

Javaid  

A lot of the things mentioned I already apply in my class. I did learn how to give the students more time to come up with an answer and not rush to give them the answer or call on someone else, instead guide them to the answer. This will should them confidence and help motivate them.

Always be positive and be clear in explaining.

set the tone

Providing positive and supportive feedback to learners. 

Be supportive and allow your students to express themselves to boost their confidence.

Be supportive and clear with students

Besupportive

This reminded me to make sure I am providing enough time after asking a question to allow students to process and respond. Just because I know the answer, doesn't mean the students don't need more time to process and then respond!

Being in the moment and using our super powers of observation allow us to continually evaluate and improve a course.

It would great to allow students to have as much as the slides suggest, but time does not permit a number of the strategies suggested. 

Understanding the students needs so they can be successful

Understanding  the students needs so they can be successful,  Being patient so they feel safe

Adult learners need security and autonomy in their pursuit of their goals.  

I plan to use two ideas from this program:  1) I will allow students to drop a low score, using their own discretion as to which one this will be.  2) I will increase the number of activities using "think, pair, share."    

I learned that adult learners need to feel like they are being supported by their teachers. They respond to positive re-enforcements. They also, want to be heard and feel like they can express their frustration if issues arise.

Sign In to comment