Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned that a motivated student comes from them having security and autonomy.

Adult learners build new knowledge on previously learned information. 

I currently encourage students participation.  I would like to ask them what would you like to spend more time on?

I liked the idea of letting the students have some control of the class as giving their input in what the order of events should take place. This is definitely something that I am going to try out in my classroom.

Without having a feeling of security, students won't feel as motivated. Our actions and words must reinforce feelings of security.

I intend to give my students more choice in their assignments, and try to incorporate more active learning strategies.

Provide encouraging feedback. Allow the students some flexibility.

I have learned that while teaching adult students it's very important to make them feel like its a partnership in their learning. With younger people you do not tend to give them much choice in their learning environment, but with adults it's better to do so to keep them engaged and motivated. 

Adult students require the respect that adulthood commands. As an instructor, it is our job to balance the structure of the course with the liberty of the adult students.

It is important to address the student perception of security for them to achieve success.  Also by empowering the student, they will be more perceptive and learn more..

There are two issues: security and autonomy.  

It is important to actively engage adult learners in classroom activities.

Security and Autonomy will keep my students coming back to learn more.

I make it a rule to allow students multiple opportunities to demonstrate competence in the class and lab.  I can see a big difference in motivation when I allow students a choice to practice what they feel will be most valuable to them while meeting course objectives.  I did find it helpful to learn how to tailor my response to incorrect answers during questioning.  I do see how this could create insecurity and fear of getting something wrong, especially in front of peers.

If a students answer is incorrect always try to relate their response to what it correlates to in order to help the student feel a sense of security when answering questions

It's crucial to recognize that students' sense of security stems from their belief in their ability to tackle assigned tasks competently. Autonomy plays a vital role in student engagement. Striving to cultivate both security and autonomy in the classroom can contribute to a more positive and empowering learning experience for students. 

Allow the class to have input on the scheduling of the day.

always supply positive feedback

I’ve learned that security is the students ability to perform tasks and autonomy is the student’s beliefs about the amount of control they have over the learning process. 

Be  supportive and communicate properly. 

Sign In to comment