Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

allowing them the say so on how the class is being conducted

pairing them up so they feel comfortable doing assignments and answering questions

Allow the students to gear how the class is being taught that day

being more supportive when a student is answering

Adult learners fear embarassment in front of their peers or colleagues. Security deals with the belief that they can sucessfully navigate the course material and achieve positive outcomes. Autonomy refers to the adult learner having some control over what they learn and how they learn it. This is especially useful when the content has real-world applicability to the student's professional experience.

Adult students are doers and thinkers.

Great tips on how to positively address students when they give a wrong response.  Also, how to give students control over the sequence of the activities, group and talking and choose.

Always give positive feed back to students responses.

excellent review on how to provide opportunities for students to feel secure and autonomous in the classroom setting

supportive and positive responses when reacting to a student's response

I already use frequent surveys for students to voice their choices and opinions. I not plan to add some dimensions to the surveys. I will ask about hobbies and how they did in other classes. I will also give students weekly reports on their progress. Finally, I wil offer more choices in assignments and class structure. 

Giving students some choice has many benefits to it for their motivation and providing support so they feel more confident and able, will yield better course results from the individuals as well as the class as a whole.

Although as a teacher you should go into each class prepared with a plan and time table, if possible, let students have some say in the order in which you complete task. Ask students their opionon on how/when they would like to complete task so they feel their opinon on thier education is taken seriously and that they have some say over their education. I will be incorroporating this concept into my future lessons. 

I liked how it gave different ideas to assist instruction in allowing both security and autonomy. I know as being an adult learner in the past, it was most important that I felt like I was in an environment whereas I felt I would not be judged or ridiculed and that I had some of the power over my wwn education.  These are important concepts when dealing with the adult learner to maintain that balance in the classroom.

Always be supportive of student's responses

This is a awesome module. It has given me great ideas of things to incorporate in the clinical setting.

Students who are insecure and feel that they have no control over the educational process will not be motivated. We must do whatever we can to facilitate the security and autonomy of ALL of our students! 

I oftn think of what motivates students and remind them to remember what motivated them to come to school in the first place to get the unmotivated back on track.

I did not realize the influence of security and autonomy was an issue. At first when I saw the word security, I was thinking the safety of the classroom. Upon completing the course, I realized that it was the student belief about ability to perform task. Also, I realized the importance of students input not only in assignments or activities in the course but also student's input in evaluations.

Being supportive is key. Adults needs security and autonomy, this relates strongly to motivation.

Sign In to comment