Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This module assisted me in learning the concepts of security & autonomy for the adult learners by giving them the power of choice.

I have learned that students especially adult learners are motivated by security and autonomy

Students are much more motivated if the class offers them security and autonomy.

Give your students the power of choice and evaluation so they feel like they are part of the decision-making in the classroom and have some control in their learning. 

This module taught me new ways to give confidence or security to students.

I never thought that students needed educational security, but now I know that it is needed to make all students feel safe to possibly give a wrong answer in class that can be corrected.

I think that feeling secure in a class allows for the success of a student before the learning ever begins.

Understanding 2 motivational issues: security and autonomy, also how to enhance security in the classroom is crucial for students to succeed. 

Adult learners need positive feedback and they also need to be able to think about the subject on their own.

Some good stuff here. I am going to start creating an overview video for each of my online classes.

Security and autonomy improve student participation because the students feel safe to make mistakes and the autonomy to make corrections. It eliminates traditional fear.

I like the idea of pairing students for review & discussions.

Comment on Liana Wood's post: I agree with the positive influence for the actual class or labs begin.

Be supportive and give the students a bit of control over their learning

Listening to your students - especially when it's a Q and A session. Rather than saying "no" to a response and moving on to another student with the correct answer, it's important for the instructor to respond in a more encouraging manner.

I start each class with a general understanding of what we will cover and an opportunity to go over any question from prior lessons.  I tend to use a Socratic method.  I will lecture and then open up a question.  For example I may lecture on a concept and then ask a current event question to help illustrate the concept.   I always allow students to ask questions and will even go a little off topic.  Then I will take the question and response and relate them back to the topic at hand.  

Encourage to become involved and secure when participating in class dynamic. The section on autonomy had good suggestions to implement and allow the student to work within group or independatly.

Good suggestions on autonomy to support adult learning

I learned that security and autonomy are huge in the success of adult learners and ways of incorporating them into the class.

Provide opportunities for students to make choices that will impact their learning processes in a positive way. Allow multiple opportunities to test student knowledge and allow students to drop the lowest grade of their choice. 

Adult students are motivated by the work and life experience they bring.

Sign In to comment