Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that autonomy is the student's belief about the amount of control they have over the learning process.

Adults need to feel like they have control over theri ability to learn 

Positive and supportive responses to students are always best to keep engagement and not lose encouragement. 

Motivation depends on both security, or students' confidence in their ability to perform the tasks in class, and autonomy, or the abilty to make choices about how they learn. Each of these factors can be influenced before and during instruction, and throughout evaluation.Security can be enhanced by learning about students and their existing knowledge, establishing a non-threatengin environment, being well-prepared, and responding to questions positively and encouragingly. During instruction, you must ensure directions are clear and actively participate. Autonomy can be provided by allowing classes (not individuals) to decide the order of certain activities, or giving them options in assignments. Asking for feedback on how the class is going and what has worked well for the students gives them a sense of empowerment and adds to motivation.

It seems that giving students some power in the pace of the class is important.

Great course

Security and Autonomy 

Security and Autonomy are needed in every class room. Students need to feel secure in there environment by knowing the class work is "doable" and challenging.Autonomy can be obtained after the student is secure in his/her environment. Knowing what to expect and knowing that the work is "doable "will lead to autonomy.   

Security is crucial to student motivation, in that students must believe they are capable of meeting the requirements of the course and are able to perofrm the tasks assigned. Security can be enhanced through the use of a sullabus, stating the learning objectives, laying out the assignments, and providing grading rubrics to make clear the criteria on which they will be graded. Autonomy is the other half of student motivation. Adult learners must feel they have control over their learning, and this can be accomplished through using more discussion than lecture formats, giving students a selection of assignments sor some projects, and providing enough small grades, such as quizzes, that the lowest can be dropped, reflecting that occasional failure is necessary to success. Students must also be kep informed of their progress, with continual feedback about their grades, where they are succeeding or struggling, and what might guide them to greater success.

Allow appropriate wait time when asking student questions, and provide a learning environment so students feel motivated, successful, and safe. 

I already use this with my students in my courses.  I want to motivate students and have them participate in the discussion and activities, so I keep a positive attitude in my responses.  If they are off the mark in answering a question, I redirect them.  What I will consider more is the autonomy necessary in adult learning settings.  Adults like autonomy and to make choices in their learning.  I can create additional learning activities in order to give them choices in what they like to learn.  

Always get feedback and give positive feedback with options. 

I am naturally very encouraging and supportive, but do plan to implement short quizzes at the beginning of class to encourage attending and being on time.  I will use these quizzes as extra credit opportunities.

Always open to different learning stradagies and encouraging differnt techniques to help retain learning.

I have always told students that I believe in them...realizing it is much more about letting them know I am there to instill the confidence to believe in themselves

i've learned that students rather be active, so to get more responce from them I will be pairing them up whenever i ask them questions. Then i will allow a minute for a discussion between them 

We have learned that students who have a sense of security and feel confident believe that they are capable of accomplishing the task at hand. With this knowledge, I will be sure to carefully address all answers during classroom discussion even when the student response is not what I was looking for. For example, I will tell the student, "That is a great answer, however I believe you were referring to ..........."

In order to help students succeed the instructor must provide security and autonomy. The instructor must remember that it is the students perception of themseles not the instructors perception of the student. Giving the student positive feedback even when the answer may not be what you were looking for is important to security. Providing choices during instruction is important for autonomy.

Adult learners have different ways of learning allowing them to make choices on their way of learning will have a better learning experiance.

In a summarized understanding of the different ways to keep our students motivated and engaged as they are learning, it is super important to provide them with feedback of their performance and encourage them to continue doing a great job. 

Clear instruction and expectations will lead to Security.

Giving the students options in assignments, order, procedures, methods and performance.

I intend to give students more choices in lecture topics and activities.

Sign In to comment