Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have learned students of different a age or culture have different needs to learn material.

The lessons learnt is the ability to work with all students in a way the is promoting to the educational goal. Listening and observing the student learning skills, ensuring that the learning environment is supportive of the students learning and paying attention to the students' needs in a professional manner as well as providing some degree of support within my scope. 

I have found that standing in front of a classroom and sharing your knowledge of a subject is just the beginning ... reading and observing your students is the key to a successful teaching experience. All of the issues discussed in this lesson are what I experience every day. I have five weeks per block of training and have experienced every one of these topics discussed. 

It is important to understand the motivations of the student in pursuing additional education. There are many factors to consider when looking at the students (background, current obstacles, and etc) but their motivation will drive them to achieve their goals.

I believe it is important to speak with the students to see if they understand and determine what they would like to get out of the course.

I have learned to ask each student about their goals and why they are here. It is also important to understand each individual student's background and how they learn and interpret information.

I have come to the conclusion that knowing the background of my students gives me a better understanding of how to reach them in my instructional process to best meet their needs.  Having the supplies available/internet is often overlooked but plays a big part in education. 

I have learned that students need a multitude of support from the instructor. Also, we have different types of students with different learning styles that we must adhere to in order for students to be successful.

One first take away for me involves the three parts of developing career goals from the Personal Circumstances section.  I think we need to know how to develop a career goal personally and know how to walk students through identifying and walking towards a career goal.  Engaging them personally on this topic will help me as an instructor know if they are going in the right direction.  Some students have a general direction and don't realize there are specific areas they can pursue further.

I have learned that getting to know my students on a more personal level and discussing with them their career goals, also helps me to be a better facilitator and guide to assist them in reaching those goals.  

Discussion needs and expectations with your students can really help an instructor in the end.

And instructor needs and expectations with the students can really help an instructor in the end.

The importance of seeing the classroom from the student's perspective 

I understand it is very important to know the individual needs of my students in order for them to reach their greatest potential. I understand the value of youthful learners and more mature learners.

I have learned it is very important to understand and develop the strengths of a diversified class.  Youthful learners have a great deal to contribute, but so do mature learners.  These strengths of students can greatly enhance the learning environment.

I learned the difference in how to approach young adult learners versus older adults. This course was very informative.

We learn as much from students as they learn from us. They give us a perception that maybe we had not considered. Students need engagement from instructors and faculty need to understand their students motivation to succeed. 

Comment on Angela Johnson's post: Absolutely. They each have different reasons for returning to school and we cant help them to achieve those goals if we dont know what they are. 

I have learned to view a student as a whole/ multiple charateristics to develop a greater understanding towards guiding them through their education. 

It is important to realize the different motivations that students have for attending school.  These reasons will affect how those students learn and how we should interact with them.

Sign In to comment