Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leveraging Technology for Student Success | Origin: ED125

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Effective and Efficient Instructional Strategies --> Leveraging Technology for Student Success

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I have applied the information learned from this lesson by purchasing a high tech camera that allows the students to have the same view as myself when I'm demonstrating correct techniques and wanting all my students to see specific things associated with welding.

For hands on demonstrations, it can be difficult to perform a task while managing a camera view.  Perhaps in the future, it will be possible for multiple cameras to be placed in a way that students can change views as needed to be able to see all the intracacies of a procedure.

This is a new concept for me. This is the first time I have heard the term Net Generation. The content of this section gives me information about how to teach them differently by flipping the class.

I have incorporated technology into the classroom by utilizing Kahoot as a fun study aid for final exams and board test prep.

I have also used Kahoot and the students are so engaged!
I plan to provide students with more choices in an effort to help them understand accountability for their learning. I like the idea about rewarding students that are on time  and will think about some way to incorporate that into their clinical role.

Generation X are usually the teachers for the Net Generation and sometimes it is hard to relate to something you don't understand. Students tend to be more motivated when they have an instructor who uses as much technology as possible.

I found it interesting about Webquests require students to independently find and evaluate information. Social media or course web pages provide opportunities for students to interact without being physically together and I also like the flipped model as well.

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that; "The most effective teachers monitor the communication regularly, adding comments or asking specific questions based on student responses."

Flipped model classroom can be very beneficial for students and can actually help them get engaged more.

Flipped classroom can used to benefit the student's leaning experience, tchnology is a great tool and can be used to enhance the learning process

This module provided great recommendations for effectively using technology in the classroom.  Because most of our students will have grown up immersed in technology, we need to take the time to understand, use, and appropriately apply that technology in the classroom after determining how and if it will help us effectively meet the lesson and class objectives.

Students learning is impacted by the time they grew up and teachers need to consider different styles to reach all students.

Flipped Classrooms require students to rewiew and prepare the material before class.

Don't limit the students opportunities. LEt them discuss related topics they may relate to in the workplace.  Give them clear instructions on howework and smple the tyope of work you expect to be done prior to class. Make sure you plan additional time as needed for discussions a and demonstrations

To be honest, I am not truly interested in knowing all there is to know about technology. I much prefer to use a number 2 pencil. Because I didn't grow up with it and because it doesn't interest me too much, it makes me pretty nervous to be teaching the Net generation and trying to find ways to engage with them. I know I need to be more curious with technology and it is my goal to learn some cool techy approaches. Wish me well!

The concept of net generation's and the flipped classroom model was interesting. I've wondered how useful instruction is when students could look it up, but it's a stark difference when the scenario/application isn't exacly like it is online. Learning critical thinking and problem solving skills are areas that require live application, and it's awesome that educators can facilitate it.

Very intresting read. Understanding the "Net" generation, born, 1982 & beyond, the Generation X, born 1965 to 1982, & the baby boomer generation, born 1946 to 1964, is a very good start to undetstanding learning methods of todays students. Although not all stundents fall specifically under these " generations", it is a good guide when aproaching teaching methods for specific students. Also social & economic back grounds are important to consider. As "baby boomers" are more read & remember learners, the "net gen" are more research & look up learners.

The "Flipped Classroom" is a model that I have already been using to some small extent & entend to expand on more. This is being set up thru the new text books I am moving to. Having the students read the text, & do tests & worksheets, & watch other recources ouside of class time. How I am going to reinforce this is to use class time ...

• Use activities to interact, apply & evaluate the students.
  • Do guided descussions.
  • Limit lecture time to key items.
  • Question & answer sessions.
  • Brief review of content.

Engaging the students thru tech, I will be using discussion boards from time to time, using links to other industry experts demonstrations. As well, I will be adding "web quests", where the students need to use the web for research assignments. I am thinking 1 paper limited to a msingle page, per unit learned, but will evaluate this I it moves along.

Lastly, I want to make activities a "want to" not a " have to" experience.  I will be setting up the lab activities so that students ( up to a point of lab space), can choose what they start first, such as the mock ups, or the bench projects.

I admire the uses of technology in learning and the online questions. Tech. has aided the possibility of student learning where they 

could not even get to class. However it can be a challenge for those who lack computer skills! Thank goodness for grand kids.

This course has made me more aware of how to use technology and to strucure the classroom to students who, solely, rely on technology.

flipped classwork has benifits to help students be successful and be more active in class

Sign In to comment