Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned to incorporate strategies that would be more interesting to the Net Generation like the flipped classroom.

Technology will never replace a good teacher.  I have found that giving students control over their learning does improve motivation.  In our culinary labs, I let students choose between items they will produce in lab provided they do some prior research and analyze different recipes.  They must demonstrate to me that they understand the cooking method first; and then are rewarded when they are able to create their own interpretation of the dish.  I let them know it is important to evaluate different recipes and that they have the ability to add and delete ingredients as it relates to the overall method they should be learning.  Giving them power and choices not only creates excitement about participating in the lab, but I also feel as though they gain a deeper understanding of the objectives.

Learning to adapt to teaching Net Generation students vs Baby Boomers and Generation X is essential to maintaining an effective classroom. Adapting will help create a more effective learning environment and success for students. Utilizing a flipped classroom concept is a great way to adjust and allow students to "evaluate, analyze, and synthesize" the information provided in each activity more efficiently.

I like Flipped Classwork, my students seem to enjoy this and it gives them a feeling of more control in the classroom setting. They participate more. I also use Kahoots in the classroom to help study for content and to give it a more "game" like feel.

The term Net Generation is new to me, but I plan on adding some Webquest assignments in my courses. I found that idea very intriguing.

I enjoy how the flipped classroom keeps students engaged. 

I like the idea of the flipped classroom and have utilized it to a small extent being new the extra work made it a little hairy but now being more comfortable with the material I will definitely utilize this more. I have also used Kahoot to help review for exams. It is a good avenue to open up questions regarding subjects that the student's are having difficulty comprehending

From this module, I’ve learned about the various ways technology can be used to enhance student success. Some key takeaways include:

1.    Personalized Learning: Technology allows for personalized learning experiences, catering to individual student needs and learning styles.
    2.    Access to Resources: Technology provides students with access to a wide range of resources, including online libraries, research databases, and educational apps, enhancing their learning opportunities.
    3.    Collaboration: Technology enables collaboration among students and with teachers, fostering a sense of community and improving communication skills.
    4.    Feedback and Assessment: Technology can facilitate quicker and more detailed feedback on student work, helping students improve and teachers to track progress more effectively.
    5.    Flexibility and Accessibility: Technology enables learning anytime, anywhere, making education more flexible and accessible to students with diverse needs and circumstances.

I intend to apply these concepts by incorporating more technology into my teaching practices, such as using online resources for research projects, implementing digital tools for collaborative work, and providing timely feedback through digital platforms. I believe these strategies will enhance student engagement, improve learning outcomes, and better prepare students for success in the digital age.

I already try to use a form of a flipped classroom by assigning a ticket to class from my students. This is work that is completed in order to be prepared for the activities during class time. It gives them a knowledge base to build off of in class. It is also worth a small portion of their grade. 

This is a new concept to me i will work on incorporating it in my classroom.

I know that it is a true fact that Net Generation will run quickly to a cell phone to find the answers to a question they may struggle with, and Baby Boomers will rack their brain until they have found the correct answer.  My students constanly run to  their cell phones if we are having a classroom disscusion about something we have previously went over or if they want to prove me wrong. 

A flipped classroom is something that I will definitly be trying with my students, because giving them the opportunity to actually do a little research outside of the class and then being able to come to class and actually be excited about the content of the subject will allow me to keep them engaged.

I also like it because most of what we do is hands on but if they actually research some of what we do it will motivate them more.  My students loove a challenge.

I also like the idea that technology can provide a method for students to interact with each  other outside of the classroom as well as their teacher.

I have implemented a flipped classroom in my welding classes, students complete the lecture for the in-person labs online and that come in to complete hands on assignments. This allows students more time in the labs and the ability to experience for welding types and variations.

I love the idea of a flipped classroom. It puts the control of learning in the hands of the students. 

Students need to know what is expected of them as well as how their work will be graded. The expectations should be made clear to the students perhaps through samples of acceptable work.

The flipped classroom is a new concept for me. I teach a career tech elective. I try not to give homework, since I am not a core subject. A flipped classroom would not work for me. I like technology...sometimes. My students want to Google a one-word answer instead of reading the textbook which explains and gives examples. I think they would remember more if it made sense in the context of information, not by googling a quick answer.

Sign In to comment