Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Other Considerations | Origin: ED107

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Creating an Accelerated Learning Environment --> Other Considerations

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I think a good foundation is key to an accelarated enviroment

i enjoy the idea of reflection after every class you teach, rather than waiting until the end of the whole class. i will continue to tweak and watch, adapting the approach, experimenting with new techniques but always keeping the learning objectives in mind. sure we can modify each course each time based on the outcomes of the previous students 

Seth Soronnadi

Learned that; "A course evaluation should include the instructor's knowledge and delivery method, the content, and the applicability/benefit to the student."

The Pygmalion Effect is a theory that claims a learner does as well as you think he or she can. 

The research done on non-verbal cues (re counting horse) is a good way to drive home the importance of how we indicate expectation to students (relates back to positive interaction, eye contact, smiling, engaging, respect, etc). 

Never heard of the Pygmalion effect  but  I have learned that it is something I been using Already. 

Debriefly is an effective way of assessing student learning.

I will use it more as part of the class rather than at the end only.

Your students will rise to your expectations.

I thought the Pygmalion Effect was very interesting and so true as I look back on my own life as a student and as a teacher.

I think one of the most important thing we can do is believe in our students and allow them to rise to our expectations as a colleague mentioned. 

I learned I have been doing backwards chaining by starting with some lab assignments then going to lecture to renforce what they learned. 

I learned about reflections and course evals. I have a lot of good takeaways from this module. One thing I always do to help me stay focused is to keep the end in mind. 

I have always expected the best for my students and will continue to do so. I always think that all of the students are capable of doing well, but the students have to think this as well!

I learned that there are numerous ideas that I can work into my lectures moving forward. And, some of these ideas, I was already utilizing. 

Reflections are essential.

Always expect the best from your class it will resonate withe the students.

The instructor as a facilitator and not the one who has all the information is the best way for our students to learn.

I have started doing review time at the beggining of class, it is an icebreaker and It sets the stage for what we are going to do next. 

People will only achieve what you expect them to.

It was a great training and I learned about the pygmalian effect as that was something that I had not thought of before. Glad to make that connection and to see how things can improve with students levels of learning as I also give them insights and positive feedback. 

Sign In to comment