Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Having a well planned syllabus is an asset so that students know what is expected from them right at the beginning.  Being prepared and having a checklist to be ready for your class is essential. 

Importance of laying out goals, expectations, grading, etc. with the syllabus.  Also, the usefulness of checklists to make sure I don't miss anything if the flow of class is interrupted.

Being prepared for the class as a whole and each class individually is important. Knowing students names and being present and enthusiastic about the material and knowing the syllabus, objectives and lesson plans are a must.

This creates structure and accountability and the standards you uphold.

a good reminder of what learners, especially first-time students, are looking for on the first day/syllabus day.

A clear and concise syllabus is imperative !

The environment you are teaching in can directly influence how effective your teaching is recieved.

A major takeaway is also one of the most simplest, have a notepad and use it!

Comment on Cecy Aguilar's post:  You said about needing instructor preparedness and I would agree with that. I found it out when I was teaching a class that involved two teachers and the second teacher knew more about it than I did.

I like the idea of being there early to greet students and being available before class.  I also realize how important a syllabus is to the students to set expectations.  Ensuring the content of the syllabus is accurate and complete will be a goal of mine for the class.

I took away two major components from this module. 1. Never underestimate the value of a syllabus. I always knew a syllabus would outline everything needed for the course, but I never thought about how it could be a tool to reduce anxiety for the students. 2. The value of really taking a few minutes before class to connect with the students.

While I have experience teaching in the university and K-12 setting, I found the checklist to be a helpful tip. I always tell my students if it isn't written down, it does not exist. Writing things down in each class that I have communicated or need to communicate will help ensure that students and tasks will not slip through the cracks.

Being prepared before you go into the class is important because you give an example to your students. 

I gained insights into how an instructor's dedication can lead to meaningful rewards. Powerful teaching is not only solely about imparting knowledge but also demonstrating genuine concerns about each individual educator. Effective communication, a sense of caring, and the instructor's commitment to the students' successful learning journey. 

I have learned that it is important to keep notes on you, and to also have well written syllabus so students can get a better understanding of the objectives to meet in your classroom.

Need to learn how to write goals, objectives and a syllabus to aid in being a successful educator in order to produce successful students! Be prepared!

Engage with students, don't be performative. 

The importance of arriving early to class and the impact it can have on students.

Preparation, goals, objectives, syllabus, and the teaching environment.

Preparation, Note pad for list of to do, things needed and BE as prepared as we can.

Sign In to comment