Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

To keep a notebook to keep notes of things I said I would do for students

Provide a learning environment that is calm, through organization. This environment will decrease anxiety and enhance learning. 

Keep a notepad to keep track of emerging requirements, questions, clarifying actions to take later, and supply challenges. 

Checklists are very important and keep you organized. I encourage students to do the same. The lists can be modified as needed, so taking notes can help influence future planning.

Helps students stay on track

My own preparedness really sets the tone for the class. I carry the weather with me. 

Having a checklist for myself during lecture- something I did not necessarily think of as a new teacher. Having my own objectives and goals of how I want the lecture to go. 

I write the specific objectives after reading the material I have selected for the class and underlining what I consider necessary. This helps me organize my thinking and make a concept map that includes everything. From the map I see more clearly the objectives that I must achieve.

Good mastery of the class is guaranteed by having at hand the list of learning objectives to ensure during class time

It is nice to know the students to get the feel of the classroom.

Keeping a notetaking device for particular student needs, like a daily reminder. I know for myself I will have one set for attendance submission and editing every day because I am still getting used to the software. 

Preparation stems from how you begin class, BUT extends to the entirety of instruction and ensuring that you are consistent in providing excellent lessons / lectures / activities to your students. 

Having details of the course objectives and clear expectations up front will help students have an understanding of the subject to be taught and being prepared going in.

Preparation is key in effective instruction whether it be the syllabus, coming in early to class and greeting students, lesson plan, or having a checklist.

It is important to be prepared so that your students are prepared.

This section was very informative and helpful for new instructors. 

Preparation! Preparation! Preparation!

Being prepared makes it easier for the instruction to relax. I also appreciate the emphasis on arriving at least 15 minutes early. This allows time to welcome students and interact on an informal basis, learn a few names, create a positive emotional climate. 

Comment on Matt Rinowski's post:

Hey Matt. You make a good point about making the objectives of the lesson public to help students and instructor focus on achieving a shared goal. A side note showing how the particular objective fits in to the overall scheme of the course would be good too.

I've learned about the important of planning early, before the course begins.

Having the right textbook, are prepared to answer students questions and holding students accountable is key.  When you ask for 1-2 pages and they hand in less than 4 sentences hold them responsible. 

always be prepared for both lab and theory

Sign In to comment