Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It's so important that students understand the policies laid out within the course syllabus. Different instructors use different methods, techniques...so you can't assume every course will be handled the same way.

Checklist!

Doris Owens

Prepare a "SWABT" on the board for the students to see the agenda for the day. ("STUDENTS WILL BE ABLE TO") do what ever they will be learning in that day.  The instructor has to be prepared to keep the focus of the student.

Preparation and knowing your material are very good points.

I always arrive 30 minutes early for class in order to adequately prepare for the lesson and activities of the day. Along with being able to possibly trouble shoot any unforeseen problems.

Being prepared before a teacher start a class is very important

I keep a notebook with a checklist and post it notes for small tasks . These keep me focused on what needs to be done before class finishes and reminds to tell them of what to expect in the next class .

Make sure to have a well thought out syllabus. This way all of the rules on late homework, exams, and attendance is very clear and there isn't any confusion. It will also spell out the clear start times for the class, and that is when attendance is taken.

ABCD of instruction

Preparing and planning helps create direction for success for the course. Setting goals will also help create a vision for the students. 

In this lesson I've learned the importance of creating Lesson plans, objectives, and clear goals to provide a carefully developed syllabus, and why this is important for the students. I haven't thought of the syllabus as being a legal document between students and instructor, but it's a good way to think about it. I also learned about reflecting upon myself, and trying to understand how the students will think of me.

Being prepared, showing up early, feeling out the class, engaging with students all help with the lesson. 

Being prepared always pays off

The importance of remembering students names and how to pronounce them properly.

Engaging with students as they enter the classroom.

Make sure you stick to your syllabus if you expect the students to do the same.

There are several points in this module: 

• Preparation of the classroom environment
    • Is it suitable for the class and students to move forward
    • Does it have all the resources, white board, computer, etc. necessary for the class 
    • Will students be comfortable in this classroom setting, for discussions, individual learning, etc.
  • Preparation of the Syllabus
    • Is it detailed enough, does it follow the University guidelines
  • Class Time
    • Be in the classroom early if possible
    • greet each student with enthusiasm
    • have a checklist!

Being prepared - a checklist, PRINTED materials to reference if needed

In preparation for classes, looking at the class roster to ensure pronunciation of names is correct is important. I would also suggest if a pre-requisitie (DL) portion is done, review student assignment responses in order to identify what the level of the students are at entering the course in order to ensure content is at the appropriate audience level. Always be in the class before the students. 

I think that with this module, I can plan better and make sure to use my time management better with having a checklist available and sticking to it

Accountability and notes

Sign In to comment