Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It is important to always be prepared for class time and lab time as far as material and supplies go. Having a check list will ensure you covered everything you need prior to class. It will also help you concentrate on teaching rather than distract you with worrying about things such as materials. 

Having the instructor in class before the students shows the instructor is prepared and excited about the subject matter.

Planning is essential in ensuring that each objective is achieved in a timely manner

Keep up with current technology

This module covers the all important first impressions that students get upon entering the lab/class.  It helps show how to make the class/lab their's.

Give students your expectations but also learn what are the expectations of me from the students. 

Well defined goals and objectives are the key to cuccess.

It is so important to set the tone on the very first day of class. I think students see you as human when you interact with them, and they just don't see you as the instructor. Personally, I am going to have to work on getting to class about 30 mins early. 

I was surprised to find that a lot of what was discussed are things that I am doing as a new Instructor. However, I know there are some things I need to work on. For example, I think my syllabus can be more detailed and maybe have an additional course calendar or maybe a checklist that the student can use. I really enjoyed this module and took a lot of good notes for future recommendations. 

Reply to Adam Leffell's post: Granular....I like that to hit home the degree of preparedness!

The importance of setting up the syllabus and how it can save time in the future

Prepare for your class!

I must have a checklist! espesialy on my first day of classes but also through the year somewhat to make sure i hit all the key points i need to cover. 

The importance of course objectives and ensuring they are well written so they are easily communicated and then how to really focus on the “instructor as a person” so I am approachable yet able to hold the students accountable. Finally, the effort to reduce as many distractions as possible before starting the first class in order to create the best learning environment, being thoughtful about that especially for online courses. 

follow course guidelines make sure everyone understands expectations have all needed course materials carry a note pad be patient not everyone learns like you do follow up on students that might be having problems and adjust as needed above all be accessible let our students know that you are there to teach them and get them the skills and knowledge that they need to succeed

follow course guidelines make sure everyone understands expectations have all needed course materials carry a note pad be patient not everyone learns like you do follow up on students that might be having problems and adjust as needed above all be accessible let our students know that you are there to teach them and get them the skills and knowledge that they need to succeed

Spending time with class before class starts, is good investment in showing you care and also are prepared (professionailism), so can start on time

Planning and preparing make teaching effective and efficient and promote a better learning environment for students. The syllabus helps provide a clear understanding of the course, gives the expectations of students, and keeps the accountability of instructors. Also, the course syllabus is a legally binding document between the instructor and student.

It is important to have a well thought out syllabus. This is you setting your students up for success.

Brenda DaCosta

I’ve learned from this Module on Effective Teaching Strategies the following: Preparing to Teach, Instructional Component, Using a Textbook, Selecting Supplemental Materials, Goal Setting and Instructional Objectives, Developing a Syllabus, and The Teaching Environment. Each of the aforementioned provided a road map and tools to help develop skills sets for becoming an Instructor and provide instructional information in a positive learning environment for the students.

Sign In to comment