Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Preplanning is the key to success, as every class will be diffrent knowing that classes skill level along with golas of the class (Destination) will allow you to tailor objectives for the success of the students (Map to the Destination)

To effectively transfer knowledge as intended requres adeqate preparation.  In addition, it is important to come to work early to ensure that all everything is in place and that you're able to interact with the students prior to the start of class to ease some of the tension.

Preparation and preparedness are key to setting up a successful learning environment. Being as detailed as possible with clear definitions and expectations, will set everyone, including the instructor, up for sucess and leaves little room for misunderstandings. Development of a good syllabus sets the tone for the class and I appreacited how it was compared to a contract between instructor and student. That is what holds all party accountable and breeds a common ground for learning. 

Setting goals over and above the objectives seems to make sense. The objectives are more technically-minded while the goals are what the students will care about in terms of starting their career.

improtance of objectives and syllabus in promoting good learning.

Having a checklist helps to make sure the goals of the class for the day are achieved and minimizes the disruptiveness of distractions.

There are other schools of thought on the nature of the syllabus.  Sometimes less is preferable to more.  For example, there are better places for an exhaustive calendar of all assignments and project.  And many course policies will already be school-wide policies that will be available elsewhere.  

Reply to Michael Taylor's post:It s a great way to break the ice too. Ask the name and know a bit aboit each student

The module has valuable tips. I made a chck list for the first session of each module I instruct 

like be detailed before the start about additional requirements, ethod of evaluation, dadlines,...

Reply to Laura Kohl's post: I usually come early too

Reply to Jane Baik's post:and it helps to have a note in hand for all those works

Jotting down notes helps to keep you Organized for the first day. 

Plan ahead and be prepared. You dont want to be rushing as stundents walk in. It makes you look unprepared.

The review of writing course objectives and syllabi was very helpful to me.  I had not thought of them as a road map for the student, but they truly are a means to a destination.  Both the syllabus and course objectives were the way I kept myself on track for my MSN courses online, but I did not think of them in the way this course has shown me how vital they are to learning.  

Reply to Cecy Aguilar's post:  I like that you added the student belonging in the classroom.  I have had instructors who didn't care who I was or even knew I existed.  They did not take an interest in me as someone who wanted to learn what they had to teach.  In my previous job as a clinical instructor in the hospital, I had the opportunity to get to know my students, who were the new hires on the clinical units.   I had the greatest pleasure seeing them grow, and always pointed out the progress they made.  That made them feel good and like they belonged, as you said.  If you feel like you are a part of something, there is positivity. 

Having checklists, holding students accountable to meet deadlines and teaching general good study skills

Preparation is important. 

Being well prepared can save you time and grief in the future.  Being clear on your expectations for the class in the syllabus is key.  It is the road map for your class.   

Show up early for class to get to know your students and set the standard for the course.  The syllabus is key for letting the students know the expectatations for the class.  

Keeping a checklist I think is a great idea. Also the importance of setting goals and objectives and having those clearly laid out. 

Sign In to comment