Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

What about the wait period before orientation? How do you use it?

Does anyone have some activities they want to share concerning the pre-orientation period?

Michael--

This is another area where institutions need to keep applicants engaged. Typically, the Admissions representative is working with the student on a regular basis to get all their paperwork in place. If the time period is extended (months), many institutions have a communications plan in place where they are provided information on a variety of things. This may include letters or materials from the Academic Dean, Career Services, etc.

Susan

We require all our students to visit the different departments before the general assembly. They have a sheet that needs to get signed off by each department. This allows them to see where each department is located, meet the employees of the departments and it allows us to address any final issues with the student on a one on one basis. It also buys us some time as we wait for those students who come in late. In the meantime we have a movie running in the rooms we hold the general assembly in for those who have finished and are just waiting for everyone else. When it is all said an done, we spend about 45-60 minutes going around to the departments and the general assembly takes about 40 minutes, and we break them out with their respective school chair for about anothe 20-30 minutes.

Going forward we will have background music prior to starting all future orientations. Nothing is scarier to a student than waiting for orientation to begin in absolute silence in a room full of strangers.

This is also a great time to have them review and/or complete some paperwork...that way people have something meaningful to do while they are waiting.

Other institutions use this time as an opportunity to show a video on the school as well...perhaps some taped testimonials from graduates or current students.

Our school has instructor staff such as myself call or email the student to welcome them. Many times we can answer questions and put the prospective students mind at ease.

Great idea to begin that relationship building prior to the start of classes. I think this probably also assist the faculty in getting to know the needs of the students as well.

Susan

I love the idea of playing a video. Our problem is that we have limited real estate in our school to hold the students. But I can totally see us having them in a room with one of our top Admissions reps, socializing and listening to some piped in music.

Sign In to comment