Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivating Students

Discuss examples of how to motivate students. What are some ways you could encourage them to succeed even if they don't think they can?

I believe that if a student can perceive (in their minds) then they can achieve this (in their hands).
I like to look at the example of the famous joke, How do you eat an elephant? The answer is profound. One baby bite at a time. I live , breathe, for this passion. Motivation is the key to any winning championship. Motivation is the "Way I AM."
Let me explain. We have a choice and with this choice we decide the 5 W's. Who, what, when, where, why. With this we decuide what to put inour minds. we choose what options we have and what to go after. I start from the first contact with a student building the idea of one step at a time. Life is such a great journey. With this journey we decide what road to go down. we can go up, down, or side ways. What is so great about motivation is that it is given to the student. What direction does the student want to take. The school is only a vessel and with steps we can accomplish abything.
Motivating students is what I do. I believe that the students we work with if they can visualize graduation, through pictures or showing them a cap and gown, builds energy. I will show students at orientation a tassle that they will wear for graduation. I build on this energy everyday. When I know when mid-terms are coming I will tell them, "Live in the present" and they survive. When finals come I tell them, "Now is the time to seperate the pretenders from the contenders." Every chance I get, I will open the doors to school and smile. This is the practice field. What we do here, we take to the professional field.
The experience that I have learned is that if the students take control of their learning they have to have a sense of taking control of their learning, and with this they control their freedom. the second idea I have learned on motivation is the students must feel competent. This take place with small steps of positive reinforcements through oral questions, or quizzes.
The third idea is to have the students feel connected to others. This might be other students, instructors, staff, reception, anyone and everyone. Our school is trying to support the idea of one voice, one vision. Everyone should be acting, talking and doing what they have to do to make the students and their needs come first.
Motivation can be fun. If the students know others are having fun this will catch on like wild fire.

Great ideas Mr. Miles! You are absolutely right on with your comments. If everyone at any school embraces the spirit you have then I guarantee, that school will graduate more students!

We can motivate students in many different ways. It is important that we recognize their goals and why they have made this decision. When they are having a hard time, we may need to remind them what they are capable of. Another way we motivate is having student competitions or activities. They respond very well to us taking a little extra time to organize something just for them. It may be something as simple as a dress up day or a chili cook-off or we may have a competition for a trip to Vegas. Students like to have activities to participate in because it makes them feel like they are really a part of something. The school may even serve as a refuge or a least a place that they experience happiness. I also motivate by personally seeking students out and following up on something they may have confided in me or told me in passing. Then they can really understand that they are not just numbers to us but we really do care about what is happening with them. I have found that recognizing improvement is key. If a student has raised their grade from a D to a C--we should recognize their hard work. If they improve their test scores, we should recognize it. That can mean much more to a student that is really trying to improve vs. a student who naturally makes A's with little effort. It is necessary for us to identify what will motivate each student. They respond in many different ways and we have the avilities to discern what each student needs for that extra push.

Andrea, you have given great examples of how Attention equals Retention. Recognition of the students and their successes is very helpful in motivating students. Thanks for your well thought out comments.

I find it is pretty easy to motivate when you show them that their models and mentors are people jsut like themselves. When you break down the barriers between the student and their end goal, you end up showing them the steps to acheive that goal. By showing them the steps their mentors and models took along the way to a successful career. you provide them with the motivation to acheive such goals themselves.

Our most successful way of encouraging those students who have doubts about their success to feel more confident, is to have former students (graduates) return to the school to give the students an idea of what the world was like for them before school and how they have achieved their goals since graduating. It is very effective for the student to witness the success of someone who was low in self-esteem and confidence, but continued on until their goals were reached.

We have former students return from time to time to address the classes and tell their stories of success. If the class sees a student who has graduated and sucessed it keeps the dream alive and helps to motivate them. But be careful who you let address the class one negitive and you have alot of unnegitiving to do.

One way to motivate the students that we serve --who are being trained to enter the healthcare field as unlicensed assistive personnel -- is to make them aware of the importance of their role. We need to emphasize that they will be caring for the most vulnerable members of today's society: the sick and the elderly. They should therefore respect themselves as vital members of the healthcare team with very important functions to perform. The way in which they execute certain procedures can mean the difference between a patient who is miserable or contented, between a correct or an incorrect diagnosis by the physician, and even, in some cases, literally between life and death. Although they are not the most highly compensated members of the medical profession, their role is crucial. How well they absorb and retain what they are learning today will have a vital impact on their confidence and self-assurance on the job tomorrow.

This is an OUTSTANDING post!!!!! Nice going!

Joe

Every month we have a Student Appreciation Day. We provide pizza and soft drinks at lunch time for the Day session and again, just before the start of the Evening session. We incorporate a variety of student and staff recognitions during the event. Staff and/or students nominate students (or staff) for the "Above and Beyond" award to recognize several students each month for going the extra mile, for helping other students. We recognize students for making the Dean's List, President's List, Perfect Attendance List, etc. The objective is to show all of the students that they too can do it, and they can succeed. Students seem to love the free lunch and the recognition!

Richard,

The Student Appreciation Day is a great idea!!!

One thing I've learned over the years is "feed them and they will come."

Nice going!

Joe

Sometimes having the student develop short term or "mini goals" is a great tool. For example, when a student has determined that they will not do well in math, take a moment to speak with them and find out why they feel this way; when they first began to feel this way; and what it was that generated this feeling. Have the student evaluate the reasons and develop a "mini goal", something as simple as I am going to make a B on my next math quiz on (date) and list out what they will do to accomplish this goal. Follow up with them after the quiz and be their biggest cheerleader once the goal is attained; if the goal is missed, encourage them to try again. Once the first mini goal is reached, move to the next mini goal. After a few times of the student seeing that they can be successful, they will usually take the ball into their own hands. At each milestone, have them formulate larger goals; move from mini to short term to long term goals and show them how they are all connected.

Excellent response!!!

I do believe that if you think you can, you probably can.

Students need to be reminded sometime of small successes…and that can help to build their confidence. When anyone feels defeated giving up is the easiest thing to do.

Sometime a challenge will be motivational but it's important to always be there with a helping hand.

I would also talk to students to identify strategies to help them to achieve or realize some of those small successes.

I agree Paul. It helps when students can see their Instructors as something “less than perfect”. To relay a story of a similar struggle and success can be inspiring…especially if you have connected with the student.

You are absolutely right on track. When a student (or anyone) can realize a small goal it shows them what they are capable of and gives them the confidence to achieve even bigger ones.

I find that giving students projects with a partner, to bring before the class, has worked very well for me. They really get into "Let me teach the teacher." I do actually learn from them also. They also work up sample test to be given.

We motivate the students with conference where the students learn haw to be a good proffesional.

I believe that the examples provided in this section as to things that can be done to motivate students are right on target. Helping students to set specific goals will show not just that you are interested in seeing them succeed, but will help them to focus on achieving their goals. I particularly support the recommendation that students engage in visualization, and offering support to students by helping them create a vision and modeling a positive attitude in their ability to succeed.

Sign In to comment