Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

orientation

When building an orientation are there any musts that need to come into play?

Community Partnerships

We do a ton of on campus activities, food drive, 3 blood drives a year, phone and ink cartridge drives, anything on campus seems to work really well with our students, however getting them off campus is a whole different story. We did a Breast Cancer walk, and ONE student showed up - we did however raise of $800. I never thought of reaching out to the community to set up partnerships? Does anyone do this, and which kinds of organizations do you seek/work with? I know childcare is such a problem for many of our students, along with transportation… >>>

Intervention Cycle

I'm a little confused on this section. In paragraph 5 and 6 I'm seeing contradictions. I have always told me students the process is thoughts/words/self-talk, form pictures in their minds, which then cause certain feelings, which in term results in specific actions/behaviors. Is there a different order being presented in this section? Thanks, Tara

Overworked Faculty

We all seem overworked; I personally am both staff and faculty. Which means I'm here, and must be here on campus at least 40 hours a week, our faculty members, not so much. My concern is getting them to really notice the importance and power of their influence on both Academic Erosion and Stagnation. I see it outside my office (I'm in a very central location) all the time, students asking for help and faculty being too busy for the extra care. I am putting together a seminar to inform faculty of what I'm learning in this course, as well… >>>

Student correspondence expectations and effect on perception/retention

School staff should all strive daily to have a consistent message and interaction from all staff to students. When a student contacts our college; rather than transferring around or putting on hold, (as perhaps at a traditional facility) if the person we wish them to speak with is not available it is imperative we take ownership of the contact. It is important to answer the student right away or let the student know an answer will be found and effort will be made to contact them post haste. If we cannot find answer right away we call them back to… >>>

Extra Credit

I have found in my College Success class, the first class students take, that offering extra credit truly motivates them to try. After reading through Module 1, specifically with Fact 3. Retention can be enhanced by making changes in the campus environment, I realized how much my extra credit options help students better and voluntarily connect to the class and thus the school. We all feel more motivated after we do well on a test, paper, or assignment. I discovered that extra credit is a way to improve student persistence and came up with more options for them. Most recently… >>>

Health fair/stress mgmt

I was thing of having a health/stress mgmthealth fai. How helpful will that be?

Second Orientation

I am interested in having a second orientation during the 1st week of class small group setting. Any ideas?

Retention

The main concern we have at an online school,is that by the time students are ready to drop, they may have been thinking about it for quite some time, and have been ignored for even longer. The thing we do is we start contacting students after four days of inactivity to try to be proactive in this.

The importance of Organizational Culture

What is typically called the 11 to 1 Ratio?

Making a Positive Impact

What are some ideas to create a comfortable campuswhere the students are relaxed and the atmosphere is positive?

Our business is Changing Lives.

What is the EduPreneurial Spirit?

Model, Monitor and Monitor

How does Attention = Retention work?

Faculty Invovlement in Retention

I have great faculty but most do not see the connection between creating an active learning environment and the impact of retention. Meaning, they have a difficult time realizing that if the classroom is not enaging and active, they will lose students. How would you approach "training an old dog new tricks?" Please bare in mind that I am faculty as well but I get the connection :)

rewards programs

Is it beneficial to do some sort of rewards program as an added bonus if students complete with a set period of time?

assigning students

How do you assign students, and who contacts them? Do you do it by major, category of study, etc? Or do you let the student come to you...

time frame

So is there a certain time frame in the semester when you should be looking for contact with the student? Is it closer to mid-way through the semester...?

Career College

Our college offers programs that are self-paced, and thus it is harder to raise retention. Is it okay to charge a fee if you take longer than a certain period of time, or will that do more harm than good?

Faculty As Content Experts

I had over 35 years experience in my field before I started teaching it. It really helps to be a "content expert" when you have day-to-day experience you can share with your students. Also sharing blunders on the job as well as successes lets them know they will learn even more when they actually get into the workplace.

Older Students

Older students who are afraid they won't fit in or won't do as well as those students who are 18 or 19 and fresh out of high school - They need to know they have strengths that will benefit the entire class. Older students usually have more focus. They are a settling influence on the younger students who many times look up to them and ask for advice.