Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Typical Orientation Length

Regardless of the orientation "style" or "format," what is the recommended length? We also include a one hour lunch with our orientation, but notice interest waning as the afternoon progresses. Any advice?

The most effective orientations for adults is usually 2-3 hours maximium. After that, they tend to get anxious about taking care of everything else they have going.

Susan

I agree with Susan. Depending on how interactive you orientation is you may want to cut it even shorter. The more interactive, the longer you can make it, but I wouldn't go longer than 3 hours.

We try to keep the Orientation to about 2 hours, also. The School Director conducts it, with introductions of other key staff members and a tour of the school.

Richard--

Two hours is just about right if you can get everything in. Typically, anything longer and people begin to wander mentally to other things going on...making lists, etc.

Do you the other key staff members play a role?

Susan

I have to agree with about 2 hours maximum. This does not include those students who need to stop by financial aid or the registrar's office to finish paperwork. We usually schedule these students to come in early (before the orientation).

Two hours seems like a long time - do you allow students a 10 minute scheduled break, or the freedom to come and go? Our orientations are typically one hour, and even then we have students who need to be excused...

I agree that by the afternoon session the interest has certainly declined. Once this was noticed at our school, we broke it up over 2 mornings.

We've been having some trouble getting everything in within one day... I really like the idea of maybe breaking in up into maybe two days maybe 5 hours each.... Thanks!

I think it's a great idea to break it up in to smaller bites and make it more interactive than one really, really long day. After awhile, they get information overload and tired of sitting!

I also agee with Susan and Mathew , our orientation is two hours , sometimes even three , but never more than that even with questions being asked. I keep it short but informative and with a realization of them already a student attending.

Our orientation is used as a 2-fold tool. We don't extend pass the 5 hours of class time, but it does allow for us to see what projected students may have issues with following directions and being attentive. I have had students in orientation that can't sit still for more than a few hours. We allow for breaks on the hour but it does give us an idea of any challenges that we may face in the future.

Jesse

I think that two hours should be enough time. It really depends on how big your school is and how many programs you have. Also how many new students do you have enrolling? The more you have the longer it might take. Just some things to consider.

I was wondering how folks are executing their orientations. Are you doing them via power point? that is something that we are in the process of implementing in our college, but I'd like to read some ideas about what other training institutions are doing. Thanks.

I agree that orientation allows an excellent first assessment of a students attention span.
I believe that orientation could extend to the regular class time (5 hours )if neccessary. However, it would be essential to inform the students beforehand of the lenght of the orientation so that they can plan the day accordingly.

Generally speaking, I think if the orientation is more than 2-3 hours you may want to consider developing a 1 credit hour course that may meet over the entire term. There are many institutions who do this and it is pretty effective. Again, interactivity and relevance of information is key.

2-3 hours with lunch and 2 10 minute breaks.

I like the idea of having some of these students come in earlier. We try but it never seems to work out. We have scheduled some of them to come in a few days after the orientation to finish up any unfinished paperwork. This has helped in shortening the length of orientation.

I think power point is helpful as they will be getting them in classes and helps break up lecturing.

Sheila--

Any additional 'sensory' support we can provide is helpful...things to see (like PowerPoint) and hear (speakers) and touch (writing). We are now dealing with a generation who is used to a LOT of sensory stimulation and the more we can utilize, the more likely they are to remember the important things we are telling them.

Susan

Sign In to comment