Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation: What size fits best?

Has anyone noticed differences in retention and student performance related to the size and/or makeup of the orienting student group?
By makeup I mean the program or major of the group was the same, within the same discipline, or mixed with other disciplines. It has seemed to me that by orienting by department yielded less attrition than when I have mixed disciplines.

yes, I have. We use a general orientation (all programs together) but we have breakout sessions where they get together with their school chair, a lead instructor and their future classmates to chat for a bit and get to know each other. This last quarter, we had a 98% retention rate.

Awesome! The inclusion of faculty is critical as this is where they spend the majority of their time...and frankly where the most anxiety exists prior to starting classes.

Susan

How many students typically come to orientation? 20? 60? 100? Should make up orientations be mandatory? I find in my experience that those students who go to orientation are the ones who make it through the first term, and those students who enrolled late and were not required to do a make up orientation typically leave within the first term. Does anyone have mandatory orientations?

Theodora--

Orientation sizes vary. Typically, if you have a really large group you would want to break them in to smaller groups for some interaction. The small groups allow students to begin developing relationships and support systems with other students, which is an effective retention strategy.

Mandatory orientations are difficult for non-residential colleges. That is why a 'back up' tactic is important.

Susan

I think it is important for the department chairs to be included at some point in the orientation. What scares me in breakout groups is that in an orientation setting, they will frighten the students with the rigors of the academics. Yes, they can be trained, but faculty is still faculty and academics is what we want them to be about. And then there is compliance. They are not as skilled or trained in compliance issues as admissions. I have done lots of training with the faculty on these issues, but they are still not as trustworthy as I would like and happy students in orientation can quickly become disillusioned before they even enter a classroom. Does anyone have differnt on ideas on how to perhaps safeguard the enthusiasm?

We have worked very hard to make orientations not only informative, but also fun. We have on average 50 to 60 students in each group, but break out into smaller groups based on program. While we tell the newly enrolled student that orientation is manditory, sometimes they just cant make it, or they are a late enrollment that missed it. We combate this by holding a make-up orientation on the 2nd day of class. I dont think we put enough effort into this make up orientation, but it helps the new students begin to feel a part of the school. Our first day of school show rate for students that attend orientation is about 96%, so it makes a big differance if they come.

We have almost no admissions reps at our orientation - orientation marks the transition point for our students. I understand your concern with the enthusiasm and concern for academics faculty will bring (thanks for admitting we can be trained!)but in a very enthusiastic way we use orientation to get the students ready for the fact that we are a real college. We tell them there will be homework, and celebrate the value that brings to their experience.

Michael--

This sounds like a great format. I completely agree with laying out a 'realistic' expectation of what school is/will really be about (including homework, exams, etc.)

Susan

Sign In to comment