Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Orientation Content

After reviewing the threads regarding the length of orientation, we came to realize that our orientation runs longer than most. Amongst other things, we include an overview of important policies and guidelines (e.g. grading, attendance, conduct, etc). Do you feel this is necessary? Or is it too much information considering they receive a student handbook which contains all this information in detail?

We touch on attendance and grades but I have my School Chairs and Dean visit the classrooms during weeks 1 and 2 and go over student handbook (we use verbal quizes in a group setting and give out prizes, like candy bars for correct answers). It works out very well and makes it more interesting for the students.

Great idea...and early in the term is obviously better. One of the biggest fears of students is their ability to perform academically. If they understand the ground rules, they are more apt to feel some level of confidence.

I agree with Aaron about giving detailed information concering grades and attendance in the first couple of weeks of classes, rather than at orientation. Many students tell me, after they've been in school a while, that there was so much information given to them at orientation that they did not retain much. Having orientation focus more on reinforcing the student's desire to be there and less on giving them all the regulations can be much more effective.

I notice that when I go over too many rules and regulations that it is difficult to hold their attention for an extended period of time during orientation. I find that when I go over the basics the first day and the remaining material at a later time, it goes much smoother.

Stacy--

That is the type of information that they need to know, but has little importance to them until they need it. Your strategy of spreading out and repeating some of this information over time is an excellent one.

Susan

We touch on a little of everything, but we try not to overload our new students with too much information at orientation. Most of our students have been out of school for years and are already overwhelmed by the fact that they are starting school again after so many years of being out of school.

Juan--

Great point. Sometimes we become insensitive to how much people can take in. I appreciate your planning to provide appropriate information without overloading them. That is one of the reasons we suggest making it as interactive as possible.

Do you provide some type of follow up information or activity?

Susan

We do similar events during our orientation. We have faculty and current students participate. Our campus president will have pizza and chips for the participants. We do break out sessions for each program which is facilitated by the program directors. It is very successful.

Peggy--

Sounds like a great program! How long does it take?

Susan

Well in some ways I feel that the orientation staff should review these policies, like grading, attendance, and conduct, because they are important guidelines in the institution. However, perhaps just a skim through them during the orientation will be enough, for they will have a hard copy to take with them to study and reference in the future.

We include a Policy and Procedures overview too, on the first day and I have to admit that students are yawning.
My goal is to make the policy and procedure talk a bit more interactive (I like the prizes or candy idea).
I have started to ease in with the important policies first (Grading, attendance) after having talked about our Student of the Year Award.
This way I have their attention still.

Other than that I also make sure to repeat that all policies can be found in the Student Handbook and if there's anything to come approach our team on campus.

In orientation we discuss more of an overview of expectations. Each class on the first day has a more specific discussion of what will happen in that class. Many of those topics will be reviewed many times as they progress, in most cases a good reminder for many students. By keeping orientation a bit faster in that way students don't seem so overwhelmed with information before they even step into a classroom.

Sign In to comment